Defroster control/motor

The Defroster-A/C system on my 1997 E320 was acting up. It was behaving erratically. It would only operate at full on or completely off. The dealer said that the motor control system needed replacement, but that
in order to do this the whole blower system had to be replaced. I guess this is because of the way Mercedes packaged the setup. Result was a painful US$1100.00 bill. Is this reasonable?
Anybody else experienced this problem?
Thanks, EJ in NJ
The original blower regulator had a short life span. MB modified it but it will not mount to the first version blower motor. The painful bill includes a new blower motor. The next time the regulator dies, you will not need a new motor.

I had the same problem with my car some years ago. An independant car electrician (not mercedes shop) just measured, looked at the wiring diagram and changed a relay costing about about 10 $ or something. One hours work.
RD

Too late for you but others may benefit from a $249 blower regulator designed and sold by Unwired Tools for the 140 and 210 models.
http://www.unwiredtools.com/catalog.asp
permission.