A/C and Vent blowing out of defroster

I've got a 1994 Mustang 3.8 and when I turn on the A/C or Vent, the air blows out where the defroster air should blow (top of dash on windshield). The defroster works fine, and the heater blows out on the floor, but I can't get air to blow out the vents where the A/C should normally blow out (directly at passengers).

What's the deal?

Reply to
bsmith4

The vent system is vacuum operated and if a line comes loose, it defaults to defrost position as a failsafe. Check for a disconnected vacuum line on the firewall next to hood hinge. Same thing happened on my 93; vacuum line was hanging loose; when I plugged it back in, all was fine.

Good luck, John

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jmvannoy

I found the place where all the hoses connect near the hood hinge, but none are loose. Now what? I assume one of the hoses is loose at the other end, but which one to check first? And how? Do I need to disassemble the dash?

Reply to
MicrosoftBob

Hmm, if you don't see anything loose at the firewall, try to follow each line coming out of that manifold and see where it leads; it may have a break or split in it or it may be loose at the other end. Sorry I can't be of more help; there are plenty here in the group who are more experienced than me.

Also do a google search in this group for "defrost vacuum"

Good luck, John

Reply to
jmvannoy