Diesel Purge Stalls :-(

I just set up the DieselGiant (DG) purge and so far it has not worked very well. I haven't even been able to get a single pop from the engine.
The DG instructions give no indication of the need
to prime the purge system. After completing the purge, the priming is mentioned. Out of curiousity I decided not to prime it and give it a try. I had thought that with the bottle very close to the IP that it might just work. But the engine did not even give a pop. Then I started priming and watched the bubbles from the return line. It took a minute or so and then the bubbles disappeared. What a pleasure not to have even a single drop of leakage from the new Bosch manual pump :-)
Next, with a little confidence I sat into the car and had another try at starting. There was lots of revving but, again, not a single pop. I checked the main electrical lines around the fusebox and they seem ok.
Back to the drawng board :-)
Floor it while cranking.
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
-->> T.G. Lambach <<-- wrote:

Thanks TGL for your interest.
I have tried flooring while cranking but there was not a pop. I adjusted the engine idle cable in both directions and did the same thing with the adjusting screw at the rear of the IP.
The battery is in excellent shape and the fuses are live in key position # 2. I removed a glow plug and found it very oily but it looks ok - no pits or distortions.
More drawing board work <sigh!> ;-(
RF wrote: -->> T.G. Lambach <<-- wrote:

Thanks TGL for your interest.
I have tried flooring while cranking but there was not a pop. I adjusted the engine-idle cable in both directions and did the same thing with the adjusting screw at the rear of the IP.
The battery is in excellent shape and the all-new 16 amp fuses are live in key position # 2. I removed a glow plug and found it very oily but it looks ok - no pits or distortions.
There was 21" of vacuum while the engine was turning over.
More drawing board work <sigh!> ;-(
What is the resistance of your glow plugs?
Tiger wrote:

Good question Tiger. I have two meters, one analog and the other digital.
The analog says: 60K, 100K, 100K, infinity The digital says: 75K, 2.3 M, 2.7M, 100K
- all ohms of course. As you will note, they are both liars ;-)
I have ordered a set of plugs, a spare, and the relay.
Hopefully, that will get me on my way.
Thanks for your interest.
RF wrote:

Finally, I replaced the glowplugs and I was able to start again. The new plugs all had exactly 0.5 ohm resistance, according to my Digital MM. How long are the Bosch plugs supposed to last?
Unfortunately, the old black smoke problem is still there, even when idling. Looks like I'll have to work on the timing now. Anyone know of a good tutorial? Please don't mention the MBZ manuals. Lots of the time I feel so frustrated that I get close to recycling them. DieselGiant has some very good articles but nothing on the actual IP timing.
Have a great weekend :-)
RF ha scritto:

Cordy wrote:

Thanks Cordy.
Sure is. I completely cleaned out the container - I found that soot had blocked off about 1/4 of the area of the port where the air goes into the inlet manifold. Then I installed a new air filter. It seems that the timing of way off.