PS System Purge

In order to replace a failed Grand Wagoneer PS Pump mount bracket, I had to remove the pump and drain all the PS fluid out, remove a line from the back of the pump, etc. When I get all this reassembled and new fluid in the reservoir, is there any procedure to purge air out of the PS lines and system?

Thanks

Reply to
randallbrink

Easy way is to fill the reservoir. If convenient, raise the front wheels off the ground. That makes things easier and a little faster but you can also leave the wheels on the ground.

DO NOT START THE ENGINE UNTIL YOU FILL THE PUMP - it needs the lubrication. Leave the fill cap off (just for convenience). Turn the wheels to full lock in one direction then back to center. Check the fluid level in the pump. Now crank the wheel all the way the other direction and back to center. Check the fluid and top it off if needed. Now crank the wheels SLOWLY from stop to stop several times. Recheck the fluid level, fill as needed, put the cap back on and you're done.

If you have a helper, he can watch the fluid for you and all you need to do is slowly crank the wheels from stop to stop while he keeps the reservoir topped off. The reason for slow movement of the wheels is avoid air entrapment in bubbles and/or foaming.

1/2 banana job.
Reply to
Will Honea

Will--

Hey, thanks very much, this is very helpful. Plus it's something that I can do without another three-day project!!

Much appreciated.

Reply to
randallbrink

I followed this technique to the letter, and the system eventually absorbed about 3/4 qt. of Power Steering Fluid. Now it is solid, quiet; smooth and responsive--nothing like the way it was before this whole major repair.

Thanks again!

Reply to
randallbrink

Check it again after a day or so of driving - getting a complete purge fill can be tedious as the system has lots of nooks and crannies that can hold air pockets, seals to soak in, etc. which will eventually work their way out. If it stays at the full-hot mark you should be good to go.

Reply to
Will Honea

I will do that. I'll be checking the system often, because of all the new components I installed, as well as new belts, etc., and I will be wanting to check and see that everything is still holding together.

Many thanks!

Reply to
randallbrink