Re: Purge cannister

"garry parker" mumbled:

What does a purge cannister do? It's just come up as ECU fault on my mates > 6 day old Rover/MG 45. > The dealer's sorting it out, but I'd like to know what it does.

Emmisions legislation forbids the venting of fuel vapours to the air. Fuel releases vapour all the time. When the engine's running it is vented to the intake and burnt. When the engine's off it's vented through a charcoal filled cannister. When the engine is next started air is sucked through the cannister to purge the vapour. This polluted air is then passed to the inlet.

Reply to
Guy King

With new ECU's it could be something as stupid as not fully screwing the petrol cap back on. Or very naughty - filling with a running engine (saw a fork (do you speak micra?) with a GTi-R do this last week). Been some stuff on alt.autos.nissan like this - Left gas cap off! How do I reset the engine check light? A small leak at the petrol cap will result in the tank failing to reach the right pressure and the purge circuit will be by-passed. I think the new Euro 4 regs require that the car makers detect this as a "fault" as it will cause emissions of HC.

Peter Hill

Peter Hill mumbled:

Ah, yes, the new word fugly seems aposite.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks to all.

Garry