E300D diesel questions.

Looking at a 95 E300D W124 Mercedes.
Need some input on it first... Going to test drive one in a week.
1 Why no turbo? Is this good or bad? 2 Is it a OM606?
3 Does it have 4 valves per cyl? 4 How much torque and hp? 5 Is the performance better than the 5 cyl turbodiesel that were in the W123's? 6 Any quirks with this engine? I know the I6 3.5's in the 90's SDL had some issues... 7 Is the acceleration more "pleasant" or linear due to the lack of the turbo? 8 Is the transmission any good? Do they have known problems? 9 Is the last year for W124 a good chassis? Previously owned w123.. Great! 10 If cared for, can I get 300k to 400K miles on this engine like the 5 cyl? Is it as durable? 10 What are your overall thoughts on this vehicle?
Thanks for your input,
Craig
I own one.

It is good because it has similar power to the older Turbo engine. Less one thing that can break down or to troubleshoot when you got a problem.

Yes
Yes
135 HP and 155 lb/ft.

Definitely yes.

No quirks

Yes, very wide flat torque band.

No... usual wear and tear dictates life of tranny.

The best.

I got 205K miles on it now.

I love it.

Other than the aluminum head. Overheat it once badly and you're shopping for a new one (there are damn few good used ones for, uh obvious reasons).
With an iron head you can badly overheat it and survive ok.
And why would you want to overheat an engine? Yeah, it is a problem when you let the engine overheats... majority of new engines regardless of makes are aluminum head and engine.
Tiger wrote:

If I am not mistaken, this is an aluminum head and a iron block. Not a friendly combination when it comes to overheats. ie. You'll do more damage on this combo than you will with a homogenous set.
I got the car... my engine is definitely not iron block as the older one.
Tiger wrote:

Sorry, your's is a iron block and aluminum head if it is an E300D. Pretty sure that even the new E320 CDI's are an iron block. Check to see if a magnet sticks to the block (not the head). If it does, it's iron.