Glow Plug Problem

Thanks to all who responded to the earlier posts regarding glow plugs.
I took the system apart again and changed the rail connectors to the right places--basically about the opposite of the way I had them
installed prior. However, the problem still exists: Upon turning on the ignition switch, the glow plug light stays on too long, and the connector rails glow red.
Is there any possibility that the switch from Beru to Bosch plugs, which appear to be approximately 1-2 mm longer, could have any bearing on this, i.e., contacting something inside the chamber causing a short? I did not ream the chambers prior to the installation of the new plugs, because I do not know how to do this and do not have the proper "reamer" tool for this.
Again, I will appreciate any input on this latest theory.
http://dieselgiant.com/glowplugrepair.htm

Got it. Thanks. Will do the electrical diagnostics and from there. Am also going to ream the glow plug chambers to see if that helps, as all cylinders/plugs but one show open.

As a follow-up to all of the above: I removed and replaced the glow plugs after "reaming" and blowing any carbon out of the galleries (there wasn't much). I checked the plugs--all good, and the relay tested ok. Hooked everything back up, and the the glow plug light still stays on for 60-90 seconds, the glow plug connector rails light up red hot, and the car won't start.
So after three days of utter frustration, I am declaring defeat and calling the M-B shop to come and tow the car.