Handbrake problem on A-class

About 4 months ago I bought an ex-demo A-class, which is now just over 1 year old. I am very pleased with it. However recently the handbrake seems to be not working properly. I will ring the garage on Monday, but am hoping that there may be a quick fix.

My husband thinks that this may be due to the type of brakes. If so, he thinks that we should be able to get the car to "self-adjust" them. He has tried pressing the brake pedal repeatedly but this hasn't fixed the problem. I have tried Googling, but not found a solution. This is our first Mercedes, so it could be something obvious that we just don't know.

Is there something that I can do to get the brake to fix itself? Or does it need a garage visit?

Sylvia Ellis snipped-for-privacy@gwalter.demon.co.uk

Reply to
Sylvia Ellis

What is the problem?

Reply to
soso

I put the handbrake on, but when I release the foot brake pedal, the car moves if it is on a slope or bumpy surface. I think that really pulling up the handbrake as high as possible helps, but by the time I try this, the car is usually now on a flat surface. Also I can no longer pull it up any higher.

Twice recently (while still getting used to the car), I have driven a few yards with the handbrake on - quickly fixed once the car tells me. I don't know whether this has contributed to the problem.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Ellis

Reply to
marlinspike

Sylvia, An exdemo should still have some warranty on it so maybe take it back after you read my next comment. My Aclass handbrake has always never fully 'engaged' on the first pull. After which I usually use the footbrake to hold the car but if I pull the handbrake another two clicks it usually holds without the footbrake on most levels except steep slopes. These cars sort of have a 'soft' handbrake so the first pull feels tight but isn't is what I mean. If this doesn't work then back you go to your dealer as someone might have been practising their handbrake turns. Jim

Reply to
soso

You don't say which model it is, some A class models have disc brakes on the rear while some have drums. Regardless, there is going to be no "quick fix" as you put it, someone needs to inspect the brake system, and seeing as you should have 2 years warranty left I'd let your dealer worry about it for you.

Reply to
miknik

Thanks for all the advice, which I will keep.

I took the car to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong, and when I picked the car up, it was parked on a slope, which seems to confirm this. The dealer hadn't been sure whether the warranty covered it in case it was an adjustment rather than a fault. They didn't charge. But it still feels odd when I park it - though different from before I took it in. I will see whether the problem recurs.

For the record it is an A160 elegance long wheelbase manual, from December 2002.

Reply to
Sylvia Ellis

Sylvia, You maybe interested in two internet sites that cater for Aclass owners. They are -

&
I find them very useful especially svc. Regards, Jim

Reply to
soso