How about it guys?

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070202060907000809020003 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Dear Mercedes-Benz aficionados:
Our fellow citizens, particularly poor people, in the Gulf States, including New Orleans, are in a helluva mess. We see it on every TV.
We usually write about our cars here and their (petty) troubles (in comparison) to these folks' now really serious problems.
So let's send 'em a few bucks, how about it?
Tom
Community foundations that have set up disaster relief funds: _The Greater New Orleans Foundation_ <http://www.gnof.org/ _The Baton Rouge Area Foundation_ <http://www.braf.org/page25206.cfm _Community Foundation of Great Jackson (Mississippi)_ <http://www.cfgreaterjackson.org/hurricane.html _Gulf Coast Community Foundation_ <http://www.gulfcoastfoundation.org/ _The Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham_ <http://www.foundationbirmingham.org/ _Community Foundation of Sarasota County_ <http://www.sarasota-foundation.org/disasterrelief.html
National Relief Organizations: _American Red Cross_ <http://www.redcross.org/ _America's Second Harvest_ <http://www.secondharvest.org/ _Operation USA_ <http://www.opusa.org/ _FEMA list of national organizations_ <http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id 473>
--------------070202060907000809020003 Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="------------060900040108040200040308"
--------------060900040108040200040308 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------060900040108040200040308 Content-Type: image/gif; name="pixel.gif" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

I just sent off my last $30 today (ah, the joys of being self-employed). They need it more than I do.
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com

Just a thought and not a slam against those doing good work down there. The Salvation Army spends 93 cents of every dollar taken in for direct help. It has the lowest overhead of any large non-profit organization. While I know the Red Cross does a lot of good do you have any idea what the CEO makes? It's astounding. And they tend to have a lot of internal problems that don't make the evening news.

That's great as long as you think "The advancement of the Christian religion" is ok as a #1 stated goal.
I wouldn't give them a penny personally. "onward christian soldiers?" not on my nickel.
Marty
PS It's true the American red cross isn't perfect. But I prefer to donate that way.

Who has helped the down and out more than Christian organizations? Sure, there have been bad apples, as there is in everything but Christianity has done more for charity than anything and anyone else, bar none. Period.
Being a Christian, yes, I think you should look into it. If a God exists and the Bible is true, if you're not saved, you're toast for eternity. Of course, if no God exists, or the Bible is not true, then no problem. Evidence speaks otherwise.
cp
cp wrote:

Pfft!!! When I lost two children in a house fire and everything I owned,they refused to help me and my girlfriend with any kind of assistance because we were not married!!! But they sure offered a lot of preaching and unbelievable BS that the reason that this happened is because we were "sinning" and God frowns upon wedlock! Sure summed it up for me!!!
IMO donate to anyone but them.
CaptainW116 wrote:

Eeh, my condolences.
This isn't Christian at all, and they need to be ashamed, and seem to be acting like the self-righteous Pharaisees that Jesus was talking about in the parable of the good Samaritan.
IMHO, the "diagnosis" was wrong, and like the mechanic with a poor attitude in another thread, which dissed a MB in need of repair with a statement of "...they all do that", my advice is to seek other mechanics, i.e. real Christians who are able help you put things right.
Your story sounds like an encounter with rrogant MB dealerships, which can put someone off buying one forever.
I apologise for all the car analogies, but this is a.a.m after all. ;-) Yes, I am a Christian too.
Cheers, WS
--
change to leews to mail

I don't know what to say...

Like I said, there are bad apples. I'm really sorry for your tragic loss though...

Again, there are bad apples, yours is not the first case I've heard of.
Sorry for your loss... I take it this was a long time ago?
cp
That is APALLING!!!!!!!!!!!
DAS
"CaptainW116" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Yeh, I forget where I read it, maybe on this thread but the Sally Ann guy makes like $13,000/year and the Red Cross (I think) $350,000/year.
cp
Ernie Sparks wrote:

Yeah,and the Lamborghini Countach that they used to drive in Salt Lake City,Utah that was donated to them couldn't have been sold to help some poor families!!!!!! They played it off good though and stuck a Starvation Army magnetic sign on the side of it.
This is a good list. Thanks.
There's also Feed the Children out of Oklahoma City. (91% of donations gos through, with only a 9% overhead cost, they're one of the most efficient in the country.)
And don't forget those who stay and rebuild long after the rescue is over. Mennonite Disaster Service is a good org. to support.
There may be some retisence to assist Christian organizations, and the wrongs of a few are inexusable. But with the response shown by those loving bureaucrats at all levels of gov't, it's cerainly a more effective route to actually getting help to people in need.
Collin KC8TKA
Cheesehead wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more. Let's ignore partisan or religious bias in these times of crisis. We are all Americans, regardless of our beliefs and opinions.

I'm Canadian, but you Americans are human too (I figure) so I helps :-)
cp
Thank you for the condolences and this happened in 1993 but it wasn't my intention to distract,just my first hand experience with this organization and want to ensure that all the donations REALLY get to those who need it without religion being crammed down their throats and so on.
Keep those donations coming .
I'm pretty familiar with S.A. It's not at all their policy to "cram" anything "down their throats". But that's an unfotunate perjorative comment that's best held back for the sake of civil dialogue. One may perfer to not support religious institutions. That's our liberty. But emotionally-loaded, false, & misleading statements do no good for anyone. Let's keep it civil. That's all.
Collin KC8TKA

Says you.

His comments are not "false" or "misleading".

Good idea. Don't tell other people what they can say and or think.
Actually, I believe he did keep it civil. If you were reading this thread his comments are based on his own first hand experience.
Marty

Dang straight.
cp
cp wrote:

Oooops! Sorry, I should have said "we are all humans." I stand corrected.