Re: Are Mercedes Benz overpriced?

Nope. It's for the quality which means longevity. My uncle was in town yesterday (he's from Dallas) and as he admired my MB he stated matter-of-factly that he put 200,000 miles on each of his last two before trading them in, and got what he wanted for them. Do you really expect that from a Toyota?

/ramalane

-- Church of the Swimming Elephant

Have you been to church today?

Reply to
ramalane

No. It's not just the badge. They will drive the same a 2, 5, 10 years. I know because I've owned many and once you get into one you'll have a hard time accepting anything else. Resale is better on MB than anything else except maybe a Honda.

Rob

Reply to
Vetluver

Toyota has a better reputation for quality and longentivity than M-B :)

Reply to
Oliver Keating

"Oliver Keating" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bfkg3g$ht8$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

I doubt that this statement applies worldwide, e.g. why are more than 70% of all cabs in Germany Mercedes instead of Toyota?

Reply to
Christian Walther

Is that what quality is based on? The number of cabs in Germany? In that case there are more Ford Crown Victoria Police vehicles in the United States. Does that mean Ford is better than an E class?

Reply to
H8That

You are actually bias and ignorant enough to challenge Toyota on quality? That is the very thing that made Toyota famous!

I can see you challenging styling.... but quality? Give me a break! Anyone who challenges a Toyota or a Honda on quality today has got to be either biased or ignorant.

... and stop comparing 20 year old Benz with 20 year old Toyota. No one said Benz used to make bad cars. When it was just engine and performance, Benz kicked ass. But today's cars are full of electronic gadgets........ that is where Benz can't keep up in quality. They just can't build electronic components like Toyotas and Hondas.

Is it the BADGE? Do you think a Rolls Royce is worth three times the price of an S Class......... of course it's the badge! But if you can afford it, it is what separate different socioeconomic status.

Benz people look down on Toyota people not on quality (if they are honest) but on the badge.... likewise, Rolls Royce people look down on Benz people.......

Reply to
H8That

all you want to do is argue, go buy your toyota and enjoy it trying to say that a toyota is better than an MB will get you nowhere here

Reply to
JohnDoe

Yes, that indeed is a good indicator, these cars are owned by private companies and as profit is sparse in that business the best car per Euro is preferred - and besides buying price this has to do with customers wishes, quality, availability of service parts etc. There are alyways some taxi owners - many one-car owner-operated taxi companies in Germany - who try to save money when buying the car: In the long term an E-Class 220CDI with the 95 PS engine _is_ the best choice overall - all other sedans _are_ inferior.

In terms of use as a police vehicle in the US - definitely.

Here in Germany MB E-Class is getting more and more popular as police vehicles - same rules apply here as with taxis.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

The E class MB consistantly comes out on top in terms cost of ownership per Intellichoice. Included in the analysis in not initial cost but depreciation, cost of repairs and insurance and fuel etc. Based upon these criteria the E class is one of the best bargains around. It's not suprising that they are used as cabs in Germany and why this is cost effective. Remember too that the E classes used as cabs are generally stripped down models and not top of the line cars with leather and all of the optional electronic goodies parktronic and keyless go such as etc. which can add considerble cost to the vehicle.

Harvey Louzon

I'm not sure if this is intended to be a statement of fact or a recommendation. In any case my take on this is: if you have new money then buy a Lexus. If you have old money than buy an MB. If you really want a reliable, inexpensive car without frills then buy a Toyota.

Harvey Louzon

Well said ...

And if you have tons of money, buy a Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Bentley, etc.

Reply to
H8That

Interesting..... thought BMW outperformed them in maneuvers.

Reply to
H8That

Okay supreme intellect....... I'm not saying that Toyota is better than MB in all aspects. I'm saying that you can't attack Toyota on the basis of quality. It simply is not true. All engineers and mechanics know that Toyotas are some of the most reliable vehicles out there.

I grew up with Mercedes all around the home. Personally, I prefer the Porshe . However, I can't say Toyotas and Hondas are junk. Just like Rolls Royce owners can't say Mercedes are junk just because they own a more expensive machine.

Fact: In terms of reliability, MB has been hurting lately. They can't make electronic parts like they can make engines.

At about this time of the year, JD Powers comes up with reports praising Lexus. How do MB owners generally respond? Oh Lexus is just a Toyota - piece of junk. But neither Lexus nor Toyotas are junk.

Furthermore, don't direct all your anger at the Japanese automaker because the most direct threat against Mercedes comes from its German rival BMW. BMW have now outperformed MB in luxury and performance in all series for less price.

But what it really comes down to is individual preference if you have the money. You just can't say a lesser price car is junk. How factual would it be for someone in a Bentley to drive up to your mercedes and say that you have a piece of junk that can't even compare to his/her car?

Reply to
H8That

:-) I wonder what world you live in. Toyotas are excellent but there's not much left of them after 20 years. This will most likely be true of the current crop of MB, for the last 8-10 years too though.

I have an '85 300SD with around 500,000KM with it... granted, the radiator had to be replaced and the window regulator wore out it's first two teeth, making the window useless. Anyways. The car drives great, it has been abused, but drives excellent, solid as new and the engine runs like a clock. Same with my dad's '81 300D with 400,000KM, 5 drivers,

50,000KM per year but no trouble, even with oil changes at intervals that are twice as long as they should be. Also, I don't think my dad's 3000KG Ford Econoline camper would go anywhere with a small Toyota diesel engine, however, my dad put in a 1975 non-turbo diesel with auto transmission which get 9L/100KM, instead of 26L/100KM with the Ford engine. So far 115,000KM in 4 years and not even one problem. Though a bit slow up hills. This week 9,000KM, Vancouver-Florida-Toronto, not even one problem. THAT is a Mercedes!
Reply to
cp

That's why in Europe, you could get a S class 126 with cloth seats, roll-up windows and manual transmission. Had wood at least.

cp

: : I'm not sure if this is intended to be a statement of fact or a : recommendation. In any case my take on this is: if you have new money then : buy a Lexus. If you have old money than buy an MB. If you really want a : reliable, inexpensive car without frills then buy a Toyota.

Just ignore him...he's only got a tv with a keyboard, not even a real computer.

/ramalane

--

+++alt.2600/#hack FAQ (by The Voyager)+++
ramalane

and if you have genuinely real money then purchase all the outstanding stock of the automaker of your choice.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Ok interesting replies guys.

But I specifically choose *Toyota* because I know that company has an exceptional reputation for reliability, longentivity and build quality.

I choose to name the Avensis (I now realise this is not available in the USA), becuase for the same price as an entry level C-Class C180K, you can buy a Avensis 2.0 litre T-Spirit, which is top specification, including leather interior, air con (neither are on the entry C-Class), and a whole hoast of other specification.

Now I bet your thinking, aha, but the interior won't have the same feel! But again, having seen it up close, I think the interior is actually better than the C-Class. As for overall build quality...

So really, again I ask how does the C-class justify its higher list? Lets face it, it is just the badge.

Apologies for the huge link required to see the car:

Oliver Keating

No innovations!?!?!?

What about VVT-i? How about getting over 180bhp out of a 1.8 engine?

What about the Prius? And soon a hybrid Lexus RX?

What about the latest one "knee airbag"?

I am sorry, but I think you are wrong on this one.

Perhaps, but you can't really justify the price of a product based on what it took to produce. It is a consumer decision about which product offers the most for a set amount of money.

The C-class isn't exactly a low volume car either.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Nope, the ones you mention are in a totally different league: ugly, austere, and uncomfortable small sedans with whiny 4 cyl engines just meant for having fun on weekends. On the other hand, the Merc is a roomy and refined surface 2 surface missile apt for everyday use, including long trips.

John

Reply to
zenith red