Instrutions to install DVD Nav into 2002 ML MCS

Hi group,

Just purchased a brand-new navigation unit from eBay for my 2002 ML with MCS.

I know the dealer has to code the radio but does anybody have any instructions on how to install the actual DVD nav unit into the MCS head?

Thanks a million. John

Reply to
John D. Gray

You have to remove the MCS unit from the dash. This is accomplished by using the special head unit removal tools. If you look at the front of the MCS, you will see a vertical slot on each of the two bottom corners. Inserting the special tools into these slots will release the locks on each side of the MCS and it will then slide forward out of the dash. The tool is actually fairly inexpensive and available through your dealer and also on Ebay. However, you can make the tool yourself if you are so inclined. I made one from an old hacksaw blade. The tool just needs to be very stiff and narrow enough to fit in the slots, then it needs to be cut with a taper, similar to a knife blade.

The DVD drive goes into the space above the cassette player, accessible after you remove the blank faceplate covering this slot. The connections on the back should be pretty straightforward. In addition to installing the DVD reader, you should check to make sure the satellite antenna is connected all the way through to the splitter, usually found under the front passenger seat. I don't believe you will have a problem in the 2002, but some previous models didn't come with the splitter installed, so the other end of the antenna cable would be found unconnected. The only solution is to get the appropriate splitter from the dealer.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill