Ipod & 2002 C230 with Premium Sound, Comand System

Hi all,
I'm about to become the proud owner of a fancy new ipod. I have read on this group that the Bose premium sound combined with the 'Comand' system gives me an AUX input somewhere in the vehicle. So here's my
question:
1. Is it relatively easy to hook the ipod up through this port, and if so where do I access it?
2. If it isn't, would most car stereo shops be able to wire an interface for me?
Just be aware that the output from the iPod is headphone, speaker level, not line level, so careful adjustment of volume on the iPod will be necessary so you don't overdrive the line level.

Thanks, but is this possible to do without a lot of tinkering? Where might I find the connector to do this in the vehicle?
Stereo mini plug to RCA male cables are readily available at Radio Shack, etc. I'm using the iTrip from Griffin on my older 5GB iPod, but I understand that the new models now have a version for them http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip /

Do you happen to know where the aux connector is located on my 230? Is it as easy as an RCA plug?
-Lon
Your Comand manual should provide the location. As I recall, on some models there's a jack located in the glove box that is selected from the "SVC" menu on the Comand unit.

this "plusg" it wouldn't happen to exist in a c320 sport wagon (2001) with the top of the line stereo / cd changer hookup (but not the mapping /command system).
rich
I don't believe so, I'm only aware of it being available on the Comand system. If there's no way to switch to "AUX" on your head unit, then I would imagine that there's no input.
On 19 Dec 2003 05:01:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nishka) wrote:

I don't think you get an AUX input for audio, if you add the TV tuner this will give you an AUX input for a DVD player etc, but there isn't a standard audio one

Well, you won't find any RCA connectors on the back of your COMAND unit, or anywhere else for that matter....

A guy I work with has an ipod and he uses an itrip to connect to his car, clips on the top of the ipod and you tune into it using your car's FM radio, works a treat, cheap too.... Maybe this would be better for you? No wires and works with any car/radio
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
Update:
It works!!
Found a very anonymous looking port in the glove box that turns out to be a small phono (headphone) jack. Went out to radio shack and bought a stereo cable, and connected the ipod to the port. MB even left a hole for the cable to pass through to so I can close the glove box :).
Switched to aux mode, and sure enough the ipod comes through clear as day. It's awesome. No distortion, perfect sound.
So if anyone else out there has a comand system, look for a little silver colored hole on the right side of the glove box. It should work without much effort. I'm now the envy of my friends :).