Is it really a Mercedes or more a Chyrsler ??

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at my next car, ideally if it exists I'd like a luxury saloon, 4x4 IN DIESEL !!
But, it's hard choosing because basically there is no new car out
there that takes my fancy - basically I think they are all a rip off.
Anyway....
My choices are between BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
My problems are;
1) BMW - don't like the new designs (like the company values, true to its beliefs, unlike Mercedes which is a 'produce every different type of car under the sun').
2) Audi - heard lots of reliability issues (but do like their designs)
3) Mercedes - like the designs, like the extras options, don't like the e-class dashboard, don't like the quality, question is am I really buying a Mercedes or am I buying a Chrysler with a mercedes badge and pricetag.
Or maybe I should just go for a secondhand saloon that fits the above (saloon, 4x4, diesel) - in which case I'd probably have no choice but to go for an Audi - again though it's the reliability issues with that marque that I'm concerned with.
Any ideas ??
Thanks for your time.
The only company benefitting from this partnership is Chrysler . You can see it evident in some of their new products. Its ashame that Mercedes seemed to have compromise their high build quality and reliability standards in order to sell more cars to the masses. It seems every Tom Dick and Jane are driving around in Mercedes Benz whereas in the past it was harder to obtain. Thank you.

    don't forget Harry .... nevertheless, your PC attitude is refreshing
- regards

mercedes ownership has always been within the reach of your regular car owner - secondhand. all the secondhand benzes i've had have driven way better (and been more reliable than) new cars of so-called lesser marques. sure, a snob value attaches to mercedes, but the secondhand buyer has always been the wisest, and does not succumb to the cachet of buying a new merc but capitalises on its qualities later on, when the original buyer has moved on to the next new thing. i'm always amazed that people are prepared to buy a secondhamd ford or gm product instead of a german made benz: the perception is that the mercs are expensive to run, but this is simply not borner out in reality.... when my 190e recently came up for its MOT test, it passed without needing so much as a wiper blade or a bulb; by contrast, any ford or gm or whatever (of similiar age) would have needed welding and godknows whatelse to get it through. indeed, there are very few of those cars actually in existence, so shabbily were they designed and put together.
ignore people like the poster you replied to: just be thankful for quality secondhand mercs.

So long as you know that not all Benzes are made in Germany. There's the USA, South Africa...
DAS

if you have questions about reliability go to J.D. Powers or Consumer Reports.

Once again displaying his ignorance by recommending an American organization and an American publication to someone who is obviously in a market that is *not* North America. Hey, Butterbrain, when's the last time you saw either a BMW *or* Audi diesel sold new in the US? -- C.R. Krieger "Ignore 'em, m'dear; they're beneath our dignity." - W.C. Fields
I think there looks like there is no choice.....it looks very much like it's gonna be an Audi A8 4.0turbodiesel Quattro Saloon.....

What do you mean that there is no choice? Over in Europe we have the Audi Allroad and various Quattro's, BMW X3 and X5, VW Touareg with either 2.5 or 5.0 engine, all kinds of Japanese and Asian brands, Volvo Cross Country and XC90, Land and Range Rover and many others available with diesel. The A8 is a good choice apart maybe for the depreciation aspect. It would be my choice in four years time, after you have put a few miles on it. Top banana in the UK has to be the BMW X5 which retains its value extraordinarily well so far. My personal favourite for all round road performance has to be the VW V10 Touareg, which I drove the other day.
Huw

Almost all that you mention below are SUV's, not saloons (sedans). Please give him reasonable feedback rather than randon gibberish.
Floyd

Thanks Floyd, there appears to be more and more people answering like this in newsgroups rather than actually reading the question.
Anyways, I do agree with that poster on one point - it will be a secondhand purchase after several, 3-4 years (to knock off a lot of depreciation).
Best regards.

I do not regard either the Quattro's, Allroad, X5, X3, Volvo or even the Touareg as SUV's. They are rather big saloon cars which have varying driving heights. The difference between a so called SUV and a saloon is becoming ever more blurred. In my fleet I avoid the term SUV and prefer to differentiate by whether the vehicle is more performance biased or more heavy duty biased. The same customer may view the BMW X5 and the Range Rover, Quattro, Allroad and Volvo XC70 and 90, which all lack a chassis, along with the Mercedes M, which has a chassis, when making a buying decision. The Audi 4.0 diesel is an excellent choice of its type because as a front wheel drive vehicle the torque generated by the engine is probably just too much to make it a pleasant drive. The same is true of the Touareg V10 5.0 which just has to have four wheel drive to work. It is also a very nice alternative to the A8 Quattro. You should try it in tandem with an A8. I have and know which I would prefer to drive. My friend has an Audi A6 Allroad diesel and has just done over 80,000 miles in 18 months. He is very pleased with it. In essence this is just a slightly higher and better equipped A6 Quattro. He loves it, except for a fairly flat bottom end performance from the engine. He will probably not have another one, just because 100,000 miles in such a short time is enough in one model of vehicle. It gets boring.
Huw

Think again. Show me Consumer Reports ratings on current Citroens. Show me J.D. Power ratings on current Opels. -- C.R. Krieger (Seen ingrate fools before)
warp2 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (C.R. Krieger) writes:

J.D. Power do studies for the U.K. and Asian markets at leats. See for example the 2003 "UK Car Customer Satisfaction (CSI) Study" at <http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID 03023> Iguess you are technically true as Opel (or its equivalent Vauxhall in the UK) or Citroen are not mentioned there...
--
Ignasi.
'90 325is

thank you sir, I'm always wrong because "I'm some dumb punk kid."

please read below, and now who's the fool?? I hate being correct.

You should be happy that is an incredibly rare event.

for you not me, I understand this bothers you.

Ya know, Ghee, part of the art of making a snappy comeback is doing it somewhat less than *17 days later*! -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that for you)