Is the W115 body style rare?

I have a 1974 240D, and I'm having trouble finding service manuals and parts for the W115 body style. Is that a "rare" body style such that
they don't have parts and books for it, because I can find a TON of W123 parts and manuals, as well as stuff for MBs from 1968-72, but it's like I have a "lost year" Merc when something goes wrong.
Seriously though, was something so wrong with the W114/115 series that the company dropped it quickly and hoped to forget about it?
These cars are at the very bottom of their value curve in the USA, and have very little following right now. Most have rusted away or have been junked by this time. Parts and books really shouldn't be a problem however. The W123s are newer, so their survival rate is much higher than the W114/115 right now, but they are, in fact, very similar cars in many ways under the skin.
The situation is quite different in Germany, where the W114/W115, or as they call it the /8, are widely admired and are considered quite desirable. There's even a separate club specifically for the bodystyle, see http://www.strichachtclub.de/
There's nothing at all wrong with the W114/115 cars, it's just that at least in the USA it's difficult to get enthisiasts whooped up about a utilitarian four door sedan (yes, I know there was a coupe too). In many ways, this (along with the follow up W123) was actually the peak of Mercedes build quality, so it would make a great car to keep as a long term reliable driver as long as you can keep the rust at bay.
Michael Trei 1985 280TE 1969 300SEL 6.3
On 13 Dec 2003 06:01:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Sunilito) wrote:

Having owner many Benz over 40 years , the best built one of all is my 114 chassis 250/8. Bought new and now has 104 Km. Wonderful car...
MBUSA has a "classic" parts department that can find any part that you may need.

the parts I got for my w115. I think the 240 was actually a w114 ,but saw many parts for that as well.
I like the hood line and front end on my 115 better than 300 w123 ...76 was the last yeaz of the classic Benz look dual heater controls on the smaller Benzs. Seen some 600 class/size..? brand-new Doctors' cars that run dual control and front/rear as well... Had problem with the water pump being different on the 300 w115 and Many auto stores will cross you to a 300 w123 pump.....w123 pump won't work in that case no matter what the auto guy tells you.
The W114/115 are probably the best, and certainly the last Genuine Mercedes.
There are only a handful of 250 sedans left on the road today. Therefore they are now considered rare.
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Sunilito) wrote in message

The 114/115 line ran for 9 years (1968-76) in the U.S. -- quite a long time, really. The cars are far from rare, and nearly all parts for them are readily available. We also stock factory manuals for your car.
Ron http://germanstar.net
I have had about 6 115's and I am glad I got away from them although some people swear by them. I didn't like the front ends on them and had two that lost the tierod connections from rust. I have the 115/114 cd . email me directly if you need any info. Thanks, Jim