License plate lamps

I have an '85 500 SEC, which is a perfect car in almost every way, except the lights above the license plate don't work. Have tried new bulbs etc., but no luck. Used an electrical tester and found that no power in the
circuit was the issue. Everything else seems to be working, so not a fuse problem, I would think. Does anyone have any clues as to any obvious places to look to find out what is wrong with this particular circuit?
David in Seattle
Did you find and check the thin cable at the trunk hinge? It may be worn/broken from 20 years of flexing when the trunk is opened/closed. The wire is usually tucked along or inside the right hinge arm (facing the trunk) before continuing into the body chassis under the rear deck. About 3 - 5 mm thick, wrapped in black cloth tape, secured with black metal clips along the path. You might have to remove some trunk lid panels to find it.
Rugbyguy in Seattle

places