mercedes 190E won't start!!!!!!

hey.i have a 1992 1.8 petrol mercedes 190E. the problem started about 2 weeks ago when my car cut out when driving.i lost all power, including the power steering.i thought the problem could have been caused by the
engine not gettin any spark to ignite the fuel, so i started with the cheapest option and changed the spark plugs.that didnt work so i spent about a week trying to find a distributor to fit my model, i changed it and still no luck.i think it could be the coil and i have been told that the 190e has had many fuel or spark problems.i went to the mechanic who gave me the distributor and he pointed out a black pannel under the bonnet which is situated above the left wheel arch.supposedly 190E's have to have these changed reguarly.i think it's sum type of ecu, due to the fact that it has about 3 or 4 wire attached to it.
any ideas would be very helfull.hope to hear from use soon.cheers!!!!
ECU rarely fails. I would suspect Fuel Pump Relay in your case... I am not sure on your UK car... but in US, it is located behind the battery, behind a black cover and have a black cigarette size box with the word kickdown on it.
Fuel pump relay. It's THE switch that turns the electric fuel pump ON and OFF (in the event of a wreck). These relays get tired and quit - in their OFF position. No fuel, no go.