Mercedes Diesel vs Volkswagen Diesel

I currently own a 82 240D and I'm looking into purchasing something newer. I'm pretty much hooked on getting something diesel. I love the heavy chasis of my 240D and the good fuel mileage i get however being
18 the cost of insurance is ridiculous. My 82 240D and from what i can tell any mercedes is going to be listed as luxury for insurance purposes, although even when the 240D was new i wouldnt have considered it luxury, hell its the standard taxi cab of the middle east. I was looking into a pre-eds 300D, thenI started reading about the VW Jetta GL TDI and was quite impressed with what i've read. The question comes now... pay less for a 90 300D or pay more for a 99 Jetta GL TDI. Insurance will be much lower for the Jetta, but what about maintenance? Is it going to cost me more in the long run in repairs?
Any/All input is welcome.
Try different insurance co. I have a 79 240d and my insurance is around $200 per year
j.
mitch knight wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (mitch knight) wrote in

The country you're in tends to make a difference to what you'll pay for insurance...
As does age. The OP is 18.
DAS
mitch knight wrote:

That tells you two things: It is extremely durable and it doesn't need much maintenance. An YES, it is NOT a luxury car at all!

A Jetta is a VW Golf with a trunk - certainly it is the best (or one of the best) cars in that segment (we call it lower middle-class here in Europe) but you simply can not compare it with an early 1990s E-Class from the W124 series.
Although the 1999 Jetta in the US is already based upon the Golf IV it is a whole car segment lower than the W124 Mercedes cars - I would definitely buy the very best W124 Mercedes diesel I could get for the money.

Juergen - W123 diesels since 1983