New 1984 300SD

Page 3 of 4
I don't doubt that. Do you think $100-150 is reasonable for a CD of scanned images of the manual on Ebay?
Also, I'm starting to make myself anxious thinking about possible
repairs that I cannot do on my own. We are moving in a few weeks, and it seems there are no independent mechanics working on MB diesels around our new home. My new 300SD is in pristine condition, every repair done on time at the dealership in Florida, every receipt saved. It's at 130,000 now. Should I just replace things that could-maybe-possibly stall my new Benz NOW while I still have the access to somewhat decently-priced labor? What are the chances of the transmission going out on a well-maintained vehicle like that, or timing chain snapping, etc.? It's a 21-year-old car, after all ...
$100 to $150 on ebay is a legitimate price only if the CD is legitimate (I believe it costs $150 direct from MB). Bootlegs usually go for about $30-$40. As far as big stuff going, it never goes without long warning, the only one that can go without warning is the timing chain, but I don't know how timing chains are on the diesels. I know when my 380 has needed a timing chain it always gave me fair warning with that too, though I wouldn't expect it. Richard
I've heard horror stories about fuel pumps failing at 80mph, but I guess it could happen on any car. A couple more questions/opinions:
- I guess the bottom line is even a Benz can fail. With mine, I took every possible precaution when I bought it, but I guess if it's God's will, it can go, too :) Also, I've been driving a 1993 Chevy Cavalier for 4 years, bought it from a nice old lady. I changed oil when I had the money (not too often), replaced nothing, not even sparkplugs, jumped off curbs, hit a deer, and my brother straightened the front end with a 2x4 ... The thing has a rusted out bottom and sides, but it still drives!!!
- When you guys bought your Benzes, did you ever have to explain to your family why you bought a Mercedes-Benz as opposed to a Ford Taurus? I think some members of my family are ready to disown me. No reasoning about MB's superior quality / dependability can persuade them I DIDN'T 't drop $10k on this car ...

I bet this place has 'em
http://www.books4cars.com /
said:

Wow! Just checked the site suggested above and they really get a price for those books. Service manuals are obviously the most expensive. I have: 1. Service manual Engines 615, 616, 617.91 about 800 pages! 2. Service Manual Chassis and Body, Series 123, Volumes 1 & 2, at least 1,300 pages for both, 3. Servicew Manual Heating, Air Conditioning Automatic Climate Control Model 123, approx 400 pages. All were published by Mercedes-Benz of North America, Inc., One Mercedes Drive, Montvale, NJ 07645, and have been an incredible source of information.

Had to be in the last four years cause that's when I bought the car. It could have been possible my local dealer (S. CA) had some in stock but I doubt it since I had to wait several days for them to arrive. Maybe I'll check with them to see if they have any more. Could be a fantastic eBay item!

Wonder what the implications would be of making good copies of these original factory manuals and offering them for sale? The pictures alone are worth loads.
You know, I really don't know. All the same information is still available from Mercedes on CD, but the CD's aren't nearly as good as the books (not the greatest scans in the world, harder to navigate, and oddly my CD doesn't cover brake pad and brake rotor replacement).

You would be violating copyright law to do this...

defense.
OOOOOOO i am scared
the case, minus a few cans!

Probably a really bad deal. Contact me and I'll give you $100 over your purchase price just to take this lemon off your hands and save you a lot of grief.
Change every filter, using ONLY german OEM filters, Mann, Bosch, etc. and give it a thorough washing with Zymol and wax with Carnauba--several coats.
Have wheel bearings packed. Check suspension. Drive. Enjoy. You have one of the best cars Mercedes ever built. They're not making any more of these, and probably never will.
--
Randall Brink
Author