o2 sensor

hi, my muffler fell of yesterday, right where the catalytic convertor meets the manifold. I was lucky, the thing fell off at a stop sign, so there was
no damage an I had soldered.
But the mechanic told me that the o2 sensor got damaged, Although I could see that the thing is still attached but the wire is stretched a little , and he told me that if I did not change it, my computer could be damaged. So, how can I be sure that it needs to be replaced and that the guy is not lying? How much does it cost?
Thank you everyone as always, thanks to this group, I saved thousands of dollars over the years!
KArle 1988 MB 190e 2.3
Find a new mechanic. The O2 sensor will not harm the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) of the Bosch CIS fuel injections system. If the O2 sensor was damaged or inopperable, the system switches to "limp home" mode which means that the engine will run very rich and there won't be much power. In that mode, your sparkplugs might appear wet from excess fuel.
The 190E uses the same O2 sensor as the 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0L V8 (Bosch PN 13942) which is a fraction of the cost of the same unit in a Mercedes box. The only modification that has to be done is to cut off the plug from the old sensor and use that to replace the Mustang one.
Agreed... get another mechanic.
http://www.oxygensensors.com /