Proper way to bleed coolant line ?

Whats the proper way to bleed the coolant lines for an 84 300SD. I have just acquired an 84 300 SD and have put in a new thermostat. I turn the car off when the temperature gauge is just shy of the mark between the
80C and 120C (I assume this is 100C). There is also no heat out of the heater where there was once before. So I probably still have air in my coolant lines. What is the proper way to bleed the coolant lines? As an aside question, is there a way to tell if there is air in the coolant line versus the thermostat being bad?

What I normally do is with the cap off... I squeeze the upper radiator hose, burp as much as you can... fill the coolant as high as you can and the thermostat will take care of the rest.
That 100C you saw is the vapor temperature so the thermostat did not open yet.