1982 240 brake bleed procedure

I just replaced the caliper on my 82 turbo 240 volvo, and was wondering the proper procedure for bleeding the brakes. I noticed that the caliper has either 2 or 3 bleeder valves on it. This was the front driver. Also have many bleed screws do I have on the whole car?

thanks mike

Reply to
Michael Mendis

I just replaced the caliper on my 82 turbo 240 volvo, and was wondering the proper procedure for bleeding the brakes. I noticed that the caliper has either 2 or 3 bleeder valves on it. This was the front driver. Also have many bleed screws do I have on the whole car? thanks mike

Reply to
Michael Mendis

Calipers should really be replaced in pairs. I bleed them one at a time, starting with the lower bleed nipples and moving towards the top, seems to work fine.

Reply to
James Sweet

8 bleeders (3 on each front, 1 on each rear caliper).

Bleed them in this order:

Left rear Left front (top) Right front (top) Right rear Right front (both lower) Left front (both lower)

If you had a newer 240 with ABS you'd follow this order:

Left rear Right rear Left front Right front

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Better be aware of this! I had a licensed tech replace both front calipers on a 1987 240, he tried pumping brakes then later opening the bleeders because he had no one helping him till eventually I guess the master cylinder gave up working, even though was working fine before. while that was happening the porportioning valve was flipped and bleeding was very difficult. The car was still not working properly when the new master was installed by another more experienced mechanic. He did some more tests like cutting off brake fluid to calipers (one at a time) found that I had been sold a defective caliper. so after a week I received my car back with about 85% brake efficiency. What does that mean, basically a job I thought would be only $200.00 CDN grew to about $800.00 CDN as more lines were subsequently broken( have you considered what all lines would set you back) flex hoses (4) for the front around $135.00 plus GST and PST then 4 brake pipes (I do not advise trying to make up your own the shapes as they are hard to simulate) so cost was about $120.00 CDN (having said all that I recommend not doing the typical pumping brake pedal and opening bleeders rather use a bleeding kit, I truly feel you might avoid some unnecessary added expense. Hey I would be very curious knowing how everything turns out for you. Remember this: the climate changes here in Toronto Canada takes its toll on all underbelly components. You may get lucky if your climate is dry and warm and you drive on salt free roads.

Please let me know!

Dan

Michael Mendis wrote:

Reply to