Re: 99 S 420 vs. 03 E 430 ??

REInvestments wrote:

It depends on so many things...
The E is _much_ more modern, it is sportier, has some things (as options) an W140 does not have, but on the other hand is not so roomy and has not the prestige of an S-Class.
So the real question is: What do you WANT?
Juergen (I would definitely prefer the E - but that of course is an _extremely_ personal opinion)
First off I'm a BMW person so ignore me if I'm wrong but I think the 2003 E comes in 320, 500 and 55 so I'll assume youre referring to the 03 E500.
I'd take the '03 E500 for the huge tech advances made in the last 4 years. It looks so much better than the old S, is much sportier, more efficient and powerful engine ('99 4.2'5hp,295lb/tq vs the 03 5 liter02hp,339lb/tq with 1 more mpg both city/hwy on the 5 liter), modernized interior, better handling, too many details to list. If you can afford it get the new E. Plus you're getting a new car with a full warranty.
-Adam

I would prefer the WDB210A S420. Not mainly because it's cheaper to get.
I test-drove the WDB211 E500 in April 2002, currently driving a WDB211B E430 at that time.
Here are a few justifications why I decided not to have a E500:
- SBC (Parkinson Brake)
I didn't like the SBC. It reacts slow. Slower than a "old" and "conventional" brake. This may not be noticed by everyone, but it's measureable. The eventual advantages (brake assist, emergency braking, etc.) of the SBC can't compensate this slowness. Also there was some noise / vibration of a hydraulic pump for the SBC every 10 brake pedal hits or so.
- Distronic (Parking Distance Sensors)
What was a LCD on the WDB211B E430, that could be seen nicely when bright sun was shining on it, turned into "cheap" LED's difficult to see when bright sun was shining on them.
- Ergonomic
In my Seating position i was unable to see the left column of buttons of the integrated radio / navigation.
But maybe you should compare both on your own.
Raymund Hofmann

E500 anyday.
Satish