Re: NEVER BUY WALMART'S BATTERIES OR YOU WILL BE SORRY

Page 3 of 9
"dgk" < , "Wickeddoll" wrote:

Some are accidents, but there is the charge of vehicular homicide.
Natalie
Geoff Miller wrote:

I am a bleeding heart liberal, but I agree with you on this subject. I have done R&D on Driver distraction for the past 10 years and have reached the same conclusion for car crashes. Each year in the US there are approx 43,000 deaths and about 3,000,000 reported crashes. M'gawd the sky is falling and we must do something about this overwhelming problem!!!
But let's take a look at the HUGH total of miles driven or hours on the road for ALL the drivers. The % is something like 1 crash /10000 hours of driving or .00001%. Every driver considers him/herself a superior driver, and probably should, because they have VERY few crashes over their lifetime of driving. No matter how much we improve the safety of the car ($) or the roads ($$$) or the infrastructure ($$$$$$) there will always be a very small percentage of crashes due to distraction or drinking or mere wrong place, wrong time circumstances.
Yes, when there are crashes they are horrendous, the victims are in need of emergency help, and it makes the evening news, but consider the vast majority that are home safely and watching the evening news.
I do think that repeat traffic offenders that have much higher than average crashes should be denied any access to drivable cars, however.
Chip
My suggestion is ... whether in a car, or on a bike, or motorcycle,or even walking.. to wear a custom helmet made from a walmart battery. Simply cut open the top of the battery with your exacto knife or shrub trimmer and dump the contents and top out. Attach a strap to the bottom box shell, and place on head. Always wear your helmet!
"M78Ultra" ...

LOL
Natalie
On Oct 19, 12:38 pm, "Wickeddoll"

$40 helmet http://tinyurl.com/2lgszj
"Chip" <...

I guess my biggest point is, that if you DO have the accident, your chances of survival/less injury is way better with helmets and seatbelts.
Natalie
said:

I'd sure love to see the source for that information..!

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:36:47 GMT, Larry in AZ

According to this:
<http://www.contingencies.org/julaug05/0705wizards.asp
He's a little off, but 1 in 88 is still significant.
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

He's more than a "little" off. Closer to a factor of 2x...

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

I'd also like to see the original data. He doesn't cite it. Very bad and doesn't allow anyone to check his numbers.
AND that is not what the article says. It says that any given person has a 1 in 88 chance of dying due to a car crash, not that 1 in 88 people will die in a car crash. BIG difference. In any given year there are about 43000 deaths from car crashes in the US. There are 190,625,023 (data from 2000)licensed drivers in the US. You do the math. Hint- about .0002%
Read an article headed- "Cellphone dangerous for young drivers, especially those with ADHD". Seems he found an old 1997 study long discredited for bad science on cellphones and driving crashes. Remember the size of the 1995 (when the data was collected)cellphones- the Brick. Then he found another study that showed that "Youths with ADHD had 4X as many accidents as those without" THEN he combined these two studies that didn't have anything to do with each other and came to the conclusion that youthful drivers with ADHD who use a cell phone were especially dangerous. Maybe, but there has NEVER been a study to test that.
Chip
On 10/19/2007 7:52 PM Chip spake these words of knowledge:

First, when the original article states that any given person has a 1 in 88 chance of dying due to a car crash, it does mean, specifically, that 1 in 88 people will die due to a car crash. No difference, when you are talking about statistical probabilities.
.0002 is (roughly) the ratio. Expressed as a percentage, the figure is 100 times that size - .02255%, in fact. You made the most common error when trying to express your figure as a percentage. More to the point, your number represents a per annum figure rather than an estimate over the average lifetime of the average driver; for example, if the average driver drives for an average of 40 years, and we posited that the ratio of deaths to the number of drivers did not significantly change, you would multiply that single annual figure by 40 to get the number representing what any given person's lifetime chance of dying in a car crash is. In my example, that number is .90229% - very nearly 1%, or 1 out of 100. If the average driver drove 50 years, the percentage is 1.1278; the chance of dying is 1 out of 88.66.
I'm not trying to argue the originator's point, only fix your math misperceptions.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
Brian Kernighan wrote, "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code
in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as
said:

Nope, can't be. If so, it would mean that 3,409,090 would die in car crashes.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On 10/20/2007 2:56 PM Larry in AZ spake these words of knowledge:

Let me say this again; try reading it slowly. It's not per annum; it's lifetime. At 43 thousand a year, your number of deaths would happen in under 80 years. (Even for your usage, your number is wrong, because it's based on the entire population rather than the driving population. But it would still happen.)
Rather than say, "Nope, can't be", perhaps you will provide some basis for why it can't be.
(Hint: you need a basic understanding of mathematics to participate meaningfully in the discussion.)
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact,
every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god;

Good luck with that expectation, Dave.
How often have you heard this? (Paraphrased and interpreted) "Iraq ain't so bad. More people are killed in traffic accidents every year".
Pass the ammo.
said:

If I'm thinking per annum, then perhaps I'm wrong. You're also wrong assuming it's based on the driving population. The article talks about an American's chances of dying due to the charted reasons. It never says "licensed" or "driving" population. IOW, it's based on the entire population, as are the rest of the listed causes of death.
Read it again yourself.
Happy motoring...

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
43,000 or so have died annually in auto related accidents in 2005 and 2006, you do the math.
Here is a more alarming static. Far more young men, between the ages of 18 and 25, have been murdered in US cities, then have been killed in our war with the radical Islamic terrorist around the world, since 9/11 2001
mike

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:52:01 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

Oh (diety of your choice). I have to put up with a helmet war in a non-bike newsgroup?
I'll give one of the con side arguments, although I do often commute by bike (15 miles each way) and do wear a helmet.
Folks, because of various factors like coolness and hair styles, do not like wearing helmets so they don't ride a bike. Also, the need to wear a helmet reinforces the idea that biking is dangerous. Therefore, less people bike than would otherwise. Because one of the greatest factors in improving bike safety is to increase the number of cyclists, wearing helmets makes biking less safe.
So be careful of using anecdotal evidence. If more folks were biking and not wearing helmets, you might actually see less split heads over the weekend.
"dgk" .

That is without a doubt the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen regarding this subject.
Biking IS more dangerous, but not due to the activity itself, but the actions of others. Fact is, if a car hits you on the bike/motorcycle, you are more likely to have fatal injuries than the person driving the car.

Statistics back me up, so your argument does not stand.
Natalie

I still use a helmet. But, there was a study done in England which showed that motorists gave more room to bikers who were NOT wearing helmets. Dumb, but true.
"JoeSpareBedroom" ...

As I said, your life is in the hands of *others* - best to protect yourself as much as possible.
And before someone says it, I know most car/bike accidents are caused by the car driver, but, as an old Florida Highway Patrol public service ad put it - "You may be in the right. *Dead* right."
Natalie