Smart car safe?

Page 2 of 3
If I had to move my family using a Smart car I would need roughly three of them. No fuel savings there...

The car is an urban runabout, maybe car number 2 or 3 in a family. Never meant to be anything else.
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@excite.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

fourth picture on here is me cruising gently in a Smart.
http://www.wellcheap.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemIdI3
--
All of my hate cannot be FOUND
I will not be drowned by your thoughtless scheming

Nobody buys a Smart car to move their family. The second seat is for the brief case or person going out to lunch with you
cp

For those who have more to move, smart makes the four door four seat smart forfour.
IMHO two good seats serve me better than two tiny seats and one rear seat where nobody can sit because I have put back my seat as far as possible.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper wrote:

Which is where the LWB W168 A class and the 5 door new shape ones come into play - small car with clever interior design giving lots of space for passengers.
--
All of my hate cannot be FOUND
I will not be drowned by your thoughtless scheming

In Canada we only have the fortwo, quite a bit of them too. Personally, if I had the choice between a forfour and a Toyota Echo/Yaris/Rits hatchback I'd take the Toyota, bigger and cheaper.
cp
cp wrote:

THE point for the Smart fortwo is it's shortness: 2500 mm, the very best on the whole car market in terms of parking space (leaving _light_ cars as French Ligier etc. pp. out here).
Of course anything else is not as good as with other modern vehicles of the same price class - the fortwo is pricey and take in mind DaimlerChrysler loses(!) money with every one sold... - but given its shortness it competes well.
Juergen
cp wrote:

THE point for the Smart fortwo is it's shortness: 2500 mm, the very best on the whole car market in terms of parking space (leaving _light_ cars such as the French Ligiers etc. pp. out here).
Of course anything else is not as good as with other modern vehicles of the same price class: No rear doors, no rear seats, short wheelbase, narrow wheel track, lack of crumple zones etc. - but given its shortness it competes well (IMHO).
Juergen

Oh I understand. I was just saying that the forfour is pointless to buy. Anyways, how's Hamburg? Ah, der bier is very good there :-)
cp
cp wrote:

Personally I wonder why Smart sells so few forfours - not many to be seen on the streets here in Germany (compared to other cars in that price segment).
Juergen P.S.: Beer? What's beer? I only drink tea... ;-)))

I don't. The Smart forfour is based on the Mitsubishi Colt platform and it is a very usual microcar, which you can buy from many different brands. I have testdriven both smart fortwo and forfour. The smart fortwo really _is_ completely different to almost any other car on the market, the forfour only tries to build up the impression of being different. If you take this into consideration, the forfour does not offer any unique advantages before cars like the Toyota Yaris, Citroen C3, Skoda Fabia and Ford Fiesta. But these are substantially cheaper.
(Why did I try the forfour? Because smart germany launched a PR camapign where they offered 25 euros to everyone who volunteered to try a smart for half an hour;-))
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

My point exactly.
cp

It's too big for its size :-) might as well get something else

:-) Ja, I trink too much tea myself
cp
Juergen . wrote:

Why would a 2 seat car need rear doors?
--
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving / And
revolving at 900 miles an hour / That's orbiting at 19 miles a second,
Tim S Kemp wrote:

Of course a 2 seater doesn't need rear doors (although the BMW 1-series has... ;-) ), but other cars in the very same price segment as the Smart fortwo do have things the fortwo does not have, e.g. rear seats or rear doors (which some of the four-door cars from the Smart fortwo price segment do offer) so these cars do offer more than the fortwo in the same price segment.
price-segment Juergen ;-)

And better.
Martin Joseph wrote:

Except one point which is THE reason for many to buy the fortwo: It's shortness (2500 mm).
If you live in areas with _very_ limited parking space the fortwo beats them all (in that respect).
Juergen
Martin J was comparing the Fourfour with Toyota et al. And that is not quite so short.
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
cp wrote:

Hey, you're in BC! Nice. The weather really doesn't lend itself to bikes when it's wet, though.
Which leads me that think that "tight" is relative. I remember way back, driving up from the US to visit my sister in Vancouver in an old Gran Torino. After the US, the roads suddenly felt very narrow. I'm not sure that was just the perception on my part, but I promptly borrowed her hyundai to explore places like Chinatown, and felt much more at ease after that.
ws
--
change to leews to mail