Starting Problem

I have a 1989 190E 2.6 Automatic
About a month ago I turned my car off after some highway driving, a couple minutes later I tried to start it again and, at first... I had
to keep turning the key on and then off, nothing, then some ticking, then it slowly it started to turn over... and eventually started. The strange thing is that the wiper came on for one pass when the car started.
For the last couple of weeks, it has been a hit and miss thing. Sometimes I turn the key and get nothing, other times "tick", eventually there is always a slow turning over that eventually starts the car. The wiper does one pass for 99% of successful start ups that take more than one try, I have also notice a mild sulfur (rotten egg) type smell.
Yesterday I couldn't get anything more out of it than a feeble and unsuccessful attempt at turning over... again the light sulfur smell.
The battery strength seems fine, the alternator seems to be fine.
Any ideas? I would say starter of solenoid, but this wiper thing is leading me to guess that there is a short. Can anyone help? I appreciate whatever advice you can give.
Your starter is gone. Go to autozone to get a lifetime starter... or you can buy online for rebuilt Bosch rebuilt starter... only rebuilt by Bosch... don't buy other.
Tiger wrote:

Thanks... I've been looking at other problems you've solved so I'm not going to doubt you... I was wondering though if you can explain why the wiper is moving. It is what made me worried about short somewhere.
Thanks again for the help though. I'll get a new starter.
I am not sure about wiper... maybe somehow the circuit sent some feedback to trigger your wiper. I really don't know about that. Sometime the wiper relay act funky when going bad... but somehow I think your starter did it.
Well thanks again Tiger.
How difficult would you say changing it myself might be. I have pretty basic mechanical skills. I've changed a couple alternators before and a starter once on an 89 pathfinder, but I haven't even gotten the car up on jackstands yet to have a look.
I had another look before diving into the starter and, as it turns out, it was the battery.... problem solved for now.