Stuck steering in w124

Page 2 of 2
You said nothing about when the problem might arise.
I had a 230E from 1986 to 1993, putting on about 120 000 miles / 200 000 km.
My Dad had a 200D from about the mid-late eighties (can't remember when
bought) to 2001, but not as many miles as I had.
Neither had a lock problem while we had them AFAIR.
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Well. Not all of them have this problem.
My MB was 190E 2,6 1988 and I had it for some 13 years. The problem arise last year and I drove with this car some 500.000 km.
Reg: Harri
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I did not find a similar case from The Great Web but there is somethin about this.
http://vets.list.archives.mbz.org/2000/Jan/Vol_1_Num_2309 /
This discussion is about W126 MB but the same problem lies with others (=W201 and W124) too.
Reg: Harri
And an other with 190E and 300D
http://diesel.list.archives.mbz.org/2001/May/Vol_3_Num_651 /
How many you need to believe me?
Reg: Harri
I am not doubting you. You made a comment about a "quite well known phenomenon with these cars" and, as we were/are talking about the W124 range I replied that I did not experience it with two of them over several years.
Is that ok?
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Yes.
I just suggested one possible cause to the problem and this cause is quite well known as you can see. Is this OK?
Reg: Harri
Link inaccessible from my computer.
DAS
This is with C280
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid 95380&posts=2&hl=ignition+key
Reg: Harri
... with W201
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tidP7716&posts=4&hl=ignition+key
Reg: Harri
We got it......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tidP7716&posts=4&hl=ignition+key
Problems are not all the same, though they may be related of course.
DAS
Problem solved! Jiggled the front wheels around until the key could be turned, yay!! If the lock bit is stuck in the steering column and the steering wheel can't turn it, but the front wheels can turn the steering column.
Thanks anyways! cp