Terminology confusion

Until recently, in my understanding, "Merc" stood for "Mercury", an obviously inferior product.

But since the term is used frequently on this ng, I wonder if it might have some merit? Will Daimler's next purchase be the Ford Motor Co.? Given how poorly Detroit is doing as a whole, is this really outside of legitimate speculation?

Collin (Where's my $140,000?) Brendemuehl KC8TKA '97 E320

Reply to
Cheesehead

"Merc" is British slang for Mercedes and is occasionally so used here. It has nothing to do with the Mercury brand Ford product.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"Merc" has traditionally been short for "Mercury" in the U.S. It's short for "Mercedes" in the UK, and probably by extension, in the rest of the Commonwealth. I don't know about the rest of Yurrup.

The only people I see use it to mean "Mercedes" in the U.S. are aficionados such as ourselves. It's kind of like how the only people who adhere to (or even know about) the distinction that

4-wheeled BMWs are properly called "Bimmers" and the two-wheeled variety "Beemers" are BMW enthusiasts. (Personally, I've never actually heard anyone so much as utter the word "Bimmer" in any context, but there it is.)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

So it's a Brit term. Makes sense. In the US I mostly just hear "Benz" spoken.

Collin

Reply to
Cheesehead

William,

Don't embarrass the rest of us as Americans. If you want to act like such a jerk, at least claim you are of another nationality.

I am neither weak-spirited nor sappy, just tired of listening to idiots like you. Give the rest of the group a break will you.

Tom Irwin

Reply to
Tom

Sig lines do offend some people. His was definitely, well, different. But let's not make too big a deal over it.

Collin

Reply to
Cheesehead

They're occasionally useful for flushing the clueless and pathologically earnest out of the tall grass, where they can be picked off at leisure.

Heh...

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

In Germany the word is "Benz" or "Daimler", tho' regarding the latter I am not sure how much this is used since the parent company was renamed DaimlerChrysler, having previously been known as Daimler-Benz.

Of course, most people just say Mercedes.

On Britain "Merc" fits into the list of affectionate abbreviations we use for many objects:

- telly (TV)

- brolly (umbrella)

- pub (public bar)...

DAS