Terminology confusion

Until recently, in my understanding, "Merc" stood for "Mercury", an obviously inferior product.
But since the term is used frequently on this ng, I wonder if it might
have some merit? Will Daimler's next purchase be the Ford Motor Co.? Given how poorly Detroit is doing as a whole, is this really outside of legitimate speculation?
Collin (Where's my $140,000?) Brendemuehl KC8TKA '97 E320
"Merc" is British slang for Mercedes and is occasionally so used here. It has nothing to do with the Mercury brand Ford product.
So it's a Brit term. Makes sense. In the US I mostly just hear "Benz" spoken.
Collin

"Merc" has traditionally been short for "Mercury" in the U.S. It's short for "Mercedes" in the UK, and probably by extension, in the rest of the Commonwealth. I don't know about the rest of Yurrup.
The only people I see use it to mean "Mercedes" in the U.S. are aficionados such as ourselves. It's kind of like how the only people who adhere to (or even know about) the distinction that 4-wheeled BMWs are properly called "Bimmers" and the two-wheeled variety "Beemers" are BMW enthusiasts. (Personally, I've never actually heard anyone so much as utter the word "Bimmer" in any context, but there it is.)
Geoff
--
"I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be
liked by all the people around them. I don't care if people hate my

They're occasionally useful for flushing the clueless and pathologically earnest out of the tall grass, where they can be picked off at leisure.
Heh...
Geoff
--
"It takes a special kind of retard to be offended so easily."
-- Adam Thrasher
"Geoff Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net> wrote in message
news:dvtart$ snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net...