Two screws loose on a V12

What a few loose screws can do to a W140 V12 engine.
http://community.forenshop.net/forums/index.php?mforum=W140&showtopic378&st=0
A German mechanic made an interesting photo series on replacing a V12
engine that was destroyed because of an error made by a Swiss dealer during simple maintenance. They forgot to put two screws in the distributor. This is the result after 100 KM.
Ximinez
Oh that is nitemarish! I am going out to my garage right now to check all tightnesses on my car (95 SL600)! :( I love the engine, but it's the little things than can wreck your day with it
Thnx for the link :)
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

Which screws are missing? The center one holding the rotor to the cam? With the dist cap on, the button pushes on the rotor and holds it in place. There is no room for the rotor to move. The notch on the rotor support is longer than the distance between the rotor and the cap.
All I see in the pics are scored walls due to wear and a burned piston that is usually always heat related/lean mixture caused.
Sorry, but I think Bernard 6.9 is putting blame on the wrong person.

Karl wrote:

Well, my opinion is that ignition problem can cause this but in just 100km sounds unbelieveable.
As well all 6 sylinders damaged is not expected.
Reg: Harri
Karl wrote:

Maybe he is trying to concoct a story about why he needs a new car that his wife will accept.
.
greek_philosophizer wrote:

The last photos he's putting in a new (used) engine so that won't be it...
Ximinez