Unimog fans look here...

Page 2 of 3

Though it has probably as much torque as a small locomotive, I wouldn't mind one, would just drive over all them dumb SUVs here :-)
cp

This search did the trick man 8x8
cp

OTOH, if I was going to get something so big, I'd get a Kamaz or Tatra, Paris-Dakar rally champions
cp

AFAIK MAN has also succeded several times in Rallye Paris Dakar. During my test ride with one 8x8 MAN LX 2000 I was accompanied by a professional driver from MAN, who had taken part six times at the Rallye. After my turn we changed seats and then he showed me how to move the truck appropriately. It was absolutely incredible. I also test drove a Tatra Jamal 6x6 heavy tipper in a mining site near Plzen/Czech republic. These cars are extremely sturdy, but the ergonomics really is 3rd world;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

Wow, do you do this stuff in your spare time or are you a pro driver?
Probably could pick up a lot of girls with a MAN LX 2000..... though my wife would not approve.
cp

I am journalist, and from 1997 to 1999 I used to work in a test team, which provided articles about commercial vehicles. My special topics were off road vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers. Those two years were mostly fun, but the boss was no fun at all:-(
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

wow! The AutoBild papers perhaps? I love those!! For off-roading what vehicles are generally the best? We did some stuff here last week here in the mountains in BC, woulda loved a g-wagen or something. I tell you, BC is off-road country.

:-)

No. My articles were published in "Verkehrsrundschau", "Transporting" and "Trucker". Besides that I was responsible for the production of a 400 page catalog called "Nutzfahrzeugkatalog".
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Do you think you would have preferred a Jeremy Clarkson-type job?
DAS
"Frank Kemper" < snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de> wrote in message

I know I would. Though I preferred the previous Top Gear host, it was much more fun. :)
cp
Who was that?
I only became aware of Top Gear with JC in charge.
I preferred his previous team, though.
I thought I read in one of these NGs that Top Gear was coming to an end but when a new series was finally decided on the others were committed to other jobs.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message

Here's a good article on the show at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear
Tiff Needell was my favorite, an actual race car driver, the talking was done during the driving, and what driving!
Gotta find re-runs of this.
cp
Very interesting link/s. Never thought of Wikipedia in this context. Still, JC has been the front man for many years.
It spoiled one of my illusions... :-( ... as I always speculated that The Stig might be Tiff Needell, despite his commitments on other programmes.
Anyway, it is Willson and Needell that I liked more in the team with JC.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:Rx2Ve.236213$HI.59090@edtnps84...
[...]
.. than the present team members, though they are beginning to grow on me. It's the way they interact with JC. QW and TN were more men in their own right, whereas Richard Hammond and James May are more 'lackeys' looking up to the great man.
DAS

That's what I love about Wikipedia!

Too much talking with JC in charge! And that Needell fellow was actually funny :-)
cp

Sorry, Dori, but I do not understand what you mean by "a Jeremy Clarkson-type job" (my french is even worse...)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de says...

He's asking if you would like your hair permed by a blind marmoset monkey that has recently become quadriplegic. Probably due to an accident involving caravans and lots of pyrotechnics.
--
Alan LeHun

Jeremy Clarkson is a British motoring journalist who drives all the fabulous cars, has a motoring column in the UK Sunday Times, presents BBC's Top Gear etc etc.
I thought you had heard of him, actually. Sorry for that assumption.
DAS
"Frank Kemper" < snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de> wrote in message
Here is a current review as example: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1772795,00.html
One does need a strong sense of humour, Frank...
DAS
"Dori A Schmetterling" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:432427bd$0$12182$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote: