Need Alternative to Gear Marking Compound

I'm setting my ring and pinion gears in the rear differential. Can't seem to find gear marking compound at any of the local shops. Any good substitute? I've heard maybe white lithium grease but may be too thick. How about homemade recipies?

Reply to
gkucera

gkucera did pass the time by typing:

google for "gear marking compound" there are others out there.

Reply to
DougW

The "ancient" substance used to set up gears was white lead, but I haven't seen it on parts store shelves in some time (haven't been looking for it either, so....) I'd think you could get away with something like white litium grrease, too, anything that would reveal the pattern.

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
jeff

I find that it also works well on coffee cups, doorknobs, binoculars and microscopes.

Reply to
Paul Calman