W126 lamp indicator

The burned out lamp light came on in my 91 350 SDL. I checked all the lights, they're working. I noticed it wouldn't come on until I press the brake pedal. Those looked a bit dark so I replaced them. Light still on!
Am I missing something here?
Chris

Are you sure the lamp wattage was correct? If yes, perhaps some poor contact, better to check.
Anyway if the indicator only comes on when braking, the warning should then be about the brake lamps. Dark/black looking lamps mean a good likelihood of warn lamp indication, even if the bulbs are still (almost) working.
The licence plate lamps are often an issue when people do not realise the car detection those too. Is the indicator still only showing up when pressing brake pedal?
Keep in mind that the 'light indicator' will come on wherever there is a bulb burned out (open circuit) whether you've turned it on or not. As the poster points out below, your difficulty may well be associated with a poor contact
cheers, guenter

Guenter Scholz wrote:

Really? In my '87 250D the light will only come on in case of a faulty brake light if you press the brake pedal. I think it will stay on after you've hit the pedal once.
I had a bad contact which usually cleared itself after a few blocks.
Ximinez
I suggest you check all three brake lights... including the third one by the rear windshield.
Third brake light it is. Fixated on the rest of them too much.
Thanks!
Chris

the
I had a similar problem with a merc V Class.
If it is a combined tail and brake light bulb check they are inserted correctly and as others said that the conatcts are clean. David