Burned out bulb indicator

I have a 1997 Avalon and burned out bulb indicator is on. The burned out bulb is on the rear right cluster (the inner bulb, since there are two brake lamps bulbs there in the cluster)

The bulb needed is a 1157 bulb - says so on the brake cluster as well as manual. When I change the bulb the following happens:

1) Burned out bulb indicator stays on 2) Transmission shift lock solenoid start clicking on and off with my even touching the brake pedals at all.

I got my bulb from automotive store and it is a GE brand. Do I need to buy a Toyota made bulb. Is this thing sensitive to bulb brands?? What is happening??

Reply to
Teck