electrical fault- lights and fuse.

Hi,

I have an electrical fault on my K-reg mini: fuse 7-8 in the fuse box (rated 35A) keeps blowing, taking out both front sidelights and left hand tail light. It's not the bulbs, and it's not the dim-dip relay. Any ideas? according to the wiring diagram, the 7-8 fuse only connects the lh lights. It doesn;t make sense anymore! Also my new battery lasts only a few days before it becomes really slow to start the car. Anyone had any experience whether these things could be related?

thanks, Helen

Reply to
Helen

Hi, without a multi-meter............ a quick fault finding process I use is,, disconnect all the lights by pulling the connectors apart,, then replace the blown fuse, then re-connect the lights one by one,,, The fuse should blow when you connect the faulty light, HTH, its a starting point ! Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Helen, is there an alarm fitted - they drain things! try the interior light setting and door earthing contacts - boot and bonnet might have them too.

Reply to
TC

Hi, there has been an alarm fitted in the past, before I had the car.. should this still be a problem? thanks for all replies- will try plugging in all the lights one by one as soon as i get chance.

cheers, Helen

TC wrote:

Reply to
Helen

An 'aftermarket' alarm, like a sparkrite or a cobra shouldn't be too much trouble as you can easily isolate them. The OEM Rover unit is a bit more temperamental if it goes wrong - trying to flash the lights maybe. when you find the fault, a good idea would be to substitute the high amp circuits with relays and low amp cable routes.

Reply to
TC