Nissan Sunny electrical fault

My daughter has a 1989 Nissan Sunny 1.6 GS. It has developed an electrical fault, whereby when the headlights are dipped, the nearside headlight does not light, and there is a regular clicking sound from the engine compartment.

Headlight bulb has been replaced, but still the same symptoms.

Relay box has been replaced, but still the same symptoms.

Nearside full beam and offside dipped/full beam work OK.

Ideas anyone?

Reply to
Ian

You may have a Dim-dip unit that basically switches the dip beams on half volts by putting the headlight earth in series.This happens when you select sidelights when the ignition is on and when you switch to dip the unit switches the earth back to parallel. Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Indeed the OP's car may have dim-dip, but how does that relate to his query about the N/S dip not working?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Because if the dim dip relay has failed then then it won't work

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yep, *I* understand that, I'm an electrical technician, but the OP wouldn't have.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Why would I not understand that ??? Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

I thought this thread was started by a guy called Ian...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That will teach me not to read it properly Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith