Nissan Sunny electrical fault

My daughter has a 1989 Nissan Sunny 1.6 GS. It has developed an electrical fault, whereby when the headlights are dipped, the nearside
headlight does not light, and there is a regular clicking sound from the engine compartment.
Headlight bulb has been replaced, but still the same symptoms.
Relay box has been replaced, but still the same symptoms.
Nearside full beam and offside dipped/full beam work OK.
Ideas anyone?
--
Ian

You may have a Dim-dip unit that basically switches the dip beams on half volts by putting the headlight earth in series.This happens when you select sidelights when the ignition is on and when you switch to dip the unit switches the earth back to parallel. Trevor Smith
Trevor Smith wrote:

Indeed the OP's car may have dim-dip, but how does that relate to his query about the N/S dip not working?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:01:53 +0100, Chris Whelan

Because if the dim dip relay has failed then then it won't work
Duncan Wood wrote:

Yep, *I* understand that, I'm an electrical technician, but the OP wouldn't have.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Why would I not understand that ??? Trevor Smith
Trevor Smith wrote:

I thought this thread was started by a guy called Ian...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

That will teach me not to read it properly Trevor Smith