Diagnosing Electrical Fault

When I got in my car yesterday morning, the battery was almost flat (it had been fine up until then), it didn't have enough power to open the central locking let alone start the car. As far as I know, nothing was left turned on overnight, and the battery has been fine recently, and is only about a year old.

I recharged the battery for a couple of hours, and it started almost immediately. So I took the car for a drive to recharge the battery fully, and it all seemed fine. I stopped and restarted, and went out in the evening, and back again, no problems except that the radio wouldn't turn on, and when I turned the lights on in the evening, the dashboard illuminations dimmed considerably - that is more than usual.

This morning the battery is totally flat (not even the clock is going now!)

I assume that I have an electrical fault somewhere. The question that I have is - are there any simple faults that I can check for myself, or is this one that should go to a garage?

The car is a 1990 Ford Escort 1.8 Diesel.

TIA.

David.

Reply to
David Aldridge

illuminations

Glove box light, boot light, radio stuck on... Failing all of those- faulty diode in the alternator discharging the battery.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Charge the battery up again then switch everything you can off, disconnect one battery terminal and put an ammeter on a high range, probably 10A, in series with the lead and the now unused battery terminal. You should get a low reading, my last car read about 60mA. Whatever you do don't put the meter across both battery terminals on the current range (BANG!). Alternatively, wire a small 12v 5w bulb in series and it shouldn't glow. If the car passes these tests suspect a duff battery.

Reply to
Steve B