03 Eclipse: Won't Start

Seems the bad weather in NJ (ice and below freezing temps) have done my poor little ride in.

First I thought it was the battery but alas, even with a Jump, only worked once.

6 Cyl GT Manual

Symptoms: Turn the Ign. Key, dashboard lights up and just click/click/click. Seems to be power related since the lights will come on, go 1/2 off and then kinda sputter. When I try again, all lights on dash go dead and nothing, not even a click.

When I just turn on headlights or parking lights, seems to be a weird low hum from just forward under hood of driver side where fuse box is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! Edd

Reply to
Edd Dicker

"Edd Dicker" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@news.optonline.net...

ECU/ECM fried and/or ISC gone. check them and substitute if necessary.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea Zambelli

How old is the battery? Have you had it tested? They can be good one day and as dead as Julius Caesar the next. I've also seen them with internal shorts that precluded even a jump. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

NickySantoro wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yup, had the same thing with in my Ford. Battery was good one day, then drove to the mall. After 20 minutes in the mall I couldn't even crank it over. Surprisingly even a jump from a large truck battery didn't start it. Turns out the max output voltage of the battery was 9.xx volts. I had a shorted cell. Didn't figurer that out until after I had the vehicle towed home and I changed out the starter motor.

Check the battery voltage. Your battery is near (if not already at) it's end of life, and cold weather doesn't help.

Reply to
Nirodac

A faulty or discharged battery seems most likely here, although bad battery terminal connections can cause similar effects.

*Important* Before doing anything, remove the battery caps (if possible) and look at the electrolyte. If _any_ cells are frozen, don't charge the battery or crank the engine. Hydrogen gas can build up under the ice and a short could cause an explosion.

If the battery is old it's easiest to just replace it. Otherwise have it fully charged and tested to make your decision. Batteries get old and fail but it would be a good idea to have the electrical system checked to be sure some other problem didn't kill it.

Reply to
G. R. Woodring

Thank you all who wrote. It was a dead, shorted battery.

Seems with a new, fresh battery all my issues are gone.

Thanks to you all!

Happy Holidays!

Edd

Reply to