Festiva won't start in cold weather- suggestions????

Would appreciate any suggestions:

this is a carbutated 1988 Festiva- very cold here in Michigan

The car WILL start 3 hours after it has been driven, but won't start if sitting for over three hours in cold weather. The battery is good. If I prime it with a little gas or starting fluid it turns over but won't start.If I jump it with my wife's car- the extra "juice" gets it to cough and sputter and finally it gets going.I have to open and close the throttle plate to keep it going for a few seconds until it runs on its own.

Sometimes it floods and sometimes it seems not to be getting any gas when attempting to start it. If it floods, I have to manually hold open the choke plate to get air into it and get it going. I have to believe the fuel pump is ok if it runs fine after warming up.

It's a fantastic car! 240,000 miles on it. I'm going to put new plug and coil wires on- they've never been replaced.

Also- if I am driving in gear and put a strain on the engine (going up a hill) I have to be careful not to give it too much gas or it misses and the car jumps drastically- certainly not good for the transmission. This jumping started recently also-when the car wouldn't start.

I've had a little trouble starting the car last winter- but a little starting fluid in the carb got it going. When the weather warms up- it starts fine.

Probably should get new dist. cap and rotor. They've never been replaced. Could it be a coil problem? Any help is appreciated.

Could it be anything other than plugs, wires, rotor, distr. cap or coil?

Mike Cohrman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

nmnmnmnmnmnmmnmnm

Reply to
misterfact

Anthony Diodati

The electrons are probably jumping everywhere but the plugs. Replace all, points (if it has them) cap, wires, and plugs.

Reply to
Qwack

And somewhere around the time of 02/08/2004 17:51, the world stopped and listened as misterfact contributed the following to humanity:

What about plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and coil?

This is most definitly an ignition problem. Classic symptoms with Fords that use ECC-IV ignition systems. Recommend that you completely rebuild the ignition system. New coil, cap, rotor, and wires.

I would start there and see what happens.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

you can try cleaning the ignition system before buying new parts. clean and gap the spark plugs. clean the high voltage lines and crimp the ends a bit for a tighter fit. use a volt meter to check the resistance in the high voltage lines and in the ignition coil. its cheap and might fix the problem. if you need new high voltage wires you can get them with a liftime warranty. keep the sales receipt and you never have to buy new ones again.

another carburetted Festiva owner

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Thanks to all! I put new wires, distr. cap and rotor- and it started right up!

Mike

Reply to
misterfact