90 eclipse won't start

It was running at idle, the car cut off. There was some smoke under the dash board as if something shorted out. It would crank over, but It wouldn't start back up. I didn't see any bad fuses. i'm suspecting the aftermarket radio wire may have shorted the ignition circuit out.. or the fuel pump has some sort of cut out switch that cut out or went bad? (had a similiar experience in my ford van and that was the problem).

Anyone got any information for me, regarding those symptoms and what's likely to be wrong? Your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Danny please CC to my email if you can.

Reply to
Daniel

Smoke from the dashboard is never much fun. Could be the ecu caps, but otherwise, you can check the fuel pump easily enough by putting a voltmeter on the power wire back at the fuel pump itself. Check plymouthlaser.com for pictures. If you can find out that is has fuel and spark, then it's probably something with the ecu or similar.

Reply to
Brad

Thanks for the response. ended up at dsm.org and vfaq.com

Found out about the capacitor problem w/ google and the above sites.

I'm thinking the ecu isn't letting the fuel pump turn on?

So tomorow i want to check for fuel pump voltage (now that i found out it's accessible under the car rather than under the rear seat). If no voltage I want to run my own wire and see if the car runs.

Question, if the fuel pump isn't getting juice, is there a relay or "crash switch" to check, and if so where would it be located? (otherwise i'm assuming the ecm is not letting it get juice).

Thanks for your help!

Danny

Reply to
Daniel

I would pull the ECU before going to that extreme. I'm betting it's toast.

Reply to
Robert Honea