97 Mirage slow acceleration and smoking.......please help!

Today I went to start my 97 Mirage and it started but it was jumping and sputtering. I drove it home and the whole way it was still sputtering and having a hard time accelerating. When I got home I opened the hood and a little line of smoke started to come out from under where I check the oil. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and then drove it to goodyear. It started up fine and drove like normally there. They looked it all over and checked all my fluids and said that they could not find anything wrong with my car. I know that I am not imaging this. I have an appointment at another mechanic tomorrow to check it out but does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong or if maybe it has worked its self out? Any information that you could give me I would apprecitate it! Thanks,

Niki :roll:

Reply to
niki

Could be the pulley on the crankshaft has loosened , which in turn would change the timing. There is a key and slot which locks it all into place ,If this is loose and worn the timing could change causing poor acceleration as well as a great deal of heat ,Hence the smoke. At times the pulley would be in the correct position giving normal running . Worth checking out.

Reply to
jonny