Intermittent Misfiring on Pajero io

Mitsubishi Pajero I.O. 1.8ltr 1999, 114,00kms.

Problem description When the car is put under load from either driving up a hill with passengers or sometimes just having the air conditioning on the car stops firing on all four cylinders and reports an Error Code #44 (Coil - cylinders #1 and #4). The car rumbles, loses power and the engine warning light comes on. I pull up turn off ignition and re-start and everything will be OK again for a while, again until under load. The load point at which it trips has varied greatly in the six months this problem has persisted.

Work done so far:

  1. ECU sent away for testing and came back fine.
  2. All connectors checked.
  3. Fuel filter replaced.
  4. Plugs changed.
  5. Plug leads changed.
  6. Coils swapped over and error code still reports 1&4 as not firing (therefore assuming coils are fine?).
  7. All four injector connectors replaced.
  8. Oxygen sensor replaced.

Current condition (as of 7/4/07)

Now the problem mainly occurs when first driven in the morning. Within

30 seconds of starting the car up it fails at around the same spot, just a few yards up the road. Maybe its starved of fuel? On restart again its fine. Coming home from college after the car has been sitting still all day I sometimes get the problem, but always worse in the morning. What I find odd about this is how the symptoms of the problem appear to have changed. Six months ago driving uphill could set it off, then puttin on the A/C would almost guarantee it failing, now the A/C will operate, though you feel power loss. Its now happening initially starting up within 30 seconds I'll have the problem. Ive spent$1200 trying to fix this, I'm now back at college as a mature student after being made redundant, so would really appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Many thanks,

Reply to
65 million