Focus misfiring in rain

Hi,

Not needed to post here for a while so must be getting good ;)

I know someone whose Focus (2005 1.6 LX) is intermittently misfiring in heavy rain (MIL light flashes) and the garage they took it to have been unable to fix. Ergo I thought I'd appeal to the collective wisdom here so I don't give bad advice :)

Apparently the spark plugs and leads have been replaced (one of the plugs was rusted in) and a new cover has been installed over the plugs to try and keep water out but to no avail. The seals round the washer jets have been tested and are fine.

Despite the replacements it still sounds like the spark plugs aren't firing to me so could it be the coil pack? Another thing that occurs is water getting to the MAF or it's wiring resulting in running too lean, does that sound likely (doesn't to me but it's a thought) ?

Thanks for your help as always,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

firstly: were they genuine plugs and leads? If not then start there by replacing both with genuine and ensure that a clean plug socket is used. Cleaning the coil off the car is worthwhile, while it is off look at it closely for cracks, underneath look at the glue that it is potted in, if it is heavily discoloured in one area (burnt internally) then it probably needs replacement. if the light is on then read the codes, they can give guidance, on the focus the codes can be read from the dashboard.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah, yes they replaced with Bosch parts so I'll recommended changing those then and give the coil pack a look.

Regarding the codes according to this only a small subset of the available codes can be read via the dashboard:

I'll get them to try that too though.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Reply to