Mitsubishi Dealers - Beware of Service

I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience with Mitsubishi service?

According to the severe maintenance schedule for the 15K mile service for my

2007 Outlander the following should be performed:

(1) Rotate tires (2) Replace air cleaner filter (3) Change engine oil and filter (4) Replace air purifier filter (if equipped). (5) And CHECK the following: auto transaxle fluid, disc break pads and rotors for wear, break hoses for wear or leaks, drive shaft boots, inspection system for looseness.

My 2007 Outlander just clocked 15 K miles and just for the heck of it I called two Mitsubishi dealers in my area for a price on service. I quickly noticed that they like to push these so-called service packages (7,500 mile service, 15,000 mile service, etc). So I called a dealer and the service tech went on and on telling me all the things it included (new windshield wipers, new spark plugs, etc.). After his sales pitch I explained to him that my car doesn't require new plugs until 60K miles and I proceeded to go through the necessary items per my maintenance manual. He then backtracked and stated the maintenance package wasn't specific to my car and if the maintenance doesn't require it then they won't perform those items. So essentially what we have is a glorified oil and air filter change for $300 dollars. He quickly changed the subject by mentioning that they have a shuttle service and will drive me home or to work within 10 miles while service is performed on my car. I thought that maybe this dealer was one of a kind so I called another and got a similiar pitch with a price tag of $289.00. What bothers me more than the cost for the service is the deceptive way the Mitsubishi dealers sell the service.

I remember a time when you brought your car to the dealer and on the receipt they would tell what services were performed. (e.g. Added break fluid, Added half gallon windshield washer fluid). This was great because you had a record of exactly what was done and could monitor your car AND when you later plunked down your hard-earned cash you knew that they did something and not just CHECKED the fluids.

My 2 cents.

Reply to
Mack

"Mack" wrote in news:482ef151$0$11626$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

As an exercise, I took my Mitsu in for the 25K checkup. But before doing that I marked my spark plugs with my intials. I asked the Service Manager for all parts that were replaced, to be returned to me. When I went to pick up the car, no parts, (as he had noted on the service order when I brought the car in). He went out to the service area and returned with 4 spark plugs, except they did not have my markings on them (and were a different brand). When I pointed this out to him, he looked at me as if he wished me dead, then went out to the shop again and returned with the correct plugs, placed them abruptly on the counter, with no comment, turned and went to service the next customer. The plugs were in fine shape and did not need replacement.

New cars monitor just about everything in the vehicle and will generally tell you when service is required. The computer will even tell you when the oil is dirty (depending on vehicle), and needs replacement. If you follow the manual that came with your vehicle, you won't have a problem with service. Problem is most people don't read the manual, or even follow it. Hence the dealers step in and try to up sell service.

My neighbour, a Nissan service Tech, has said to me that they can tell if the vehicle has been neglected and that, above anything, will affect the warranty.

I follow the severe usage schedule for maintenace, even though the car averages about 7000 Km per year. I also put a sticker on the windshield to remind me of the next service event.

Just MY 2 cents worth

Reply to
Nirodac

"Mack" schreef in bericht news:482ef151$0$11626$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net...

Severe? My Mitsu Pajero must have new oil (6,5-7,8L) every 7,5k. The dealers here in The Netherlands just look at the mileage and take out a kit with the parts according to the maintenance-manual. I once renewed my airfilter after driving off-road for a week. Three days later it went to the shop for maintenance. They actually took out my three days old filter and replaced it! So they don't look at the state of the parts but just replace it becouse it says so in the book.

I can go on and on for a year about my experiance with Mitsu dealers AND Mitsubishi Europe (Importer over here). They still try to keep factory (and dangerous) faults under wraps. Made me decide not ever to buy a Mitsubishi again.

Reply to
Henk

ANY of the practices mentioned in this thread are typical of ANY dealer and not just Mitsu. As you know they are trying to get as much of your money as they can, and you are trying to keep as much as you can.

-SP

Mack wrote:

Reply to
speedy

Yeah, it's that mentality that has earned the dealers their reputation. Most customers are willing to pay a premium for upfront and honest service but they won't pay a dime to someone who's goal is to "get as much of your money as they can." It's about customer service. Period.

Reply to
Mack