Re: Weird little observations.

"Paul - xxx" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Heh, our Disco is only a three door, five doors were just out of our > price range when we bought it

No, no, no. You wanted the stiffer shell and lower weight, remember...?

and doesn't have electric mirrors or windows or cruise etc etc. Mind, > all the wiring's there, so the passenger side now has an electric > mirror and the correct switch to operate it. (Good ol' ebay) When i > break the offside that'll also get

I'm missing heated mirrors far worse than I thought I would - the CX and XM had 'em, the 900 doesn't.

but the thing I miss most after driving company cars for ~15 years is > cruise control.

I've never yet had a car (other than a rental) with cruise - well, the Saab's got it, but it doesn't work.

SWMBO Micra doesn't have an odometer, now _that_ is cheap cost-cutting > IMHO

A trip odo, I presume?

or a clock frcrissakes!

You're kidding. Not even on the radio display?

Reply to
Adrian

Well that's what I told swmbo ... but she said that was also what I said when we got a SWB Series 3 instead of a LWB ... ;)

Yeah. Amazing how much you use it, without realising, until you don't have it anymore.

Radio. Pray tell, what is this radio of which you speak? No. Well, it might have if the radio the last owner put in had been wired correctly!

Bloody things brilliant though, in a retro stylee, awful but great ride, kinda thing, welll it is now I've soldered the throttle body PCB ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

"Paul - xxx" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm used to not having 'em. On 2cvs.

Ah. I'll bet the OEM radio's display contained the clock.

Reply to
Adrian

On that note, you can't beat a heated windscreen this time of year.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Or a bloody good heater/demister. One spec'd for Scandi winters.

Reply to
Adrian

Heh, I do miss the 900's face burning heater on winter mornings :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"AstraVanMann" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yeh, I miss that with the Saab - 3dr, so over-centre catches on the tilting rears. Didn't BMW (and probably others) use electric motors for opening that kind of window? Might be interesting to try and retro-fit those...

Indeed. The passenger one on the XM auto-dipped to a different position on selecting Reverse. Lovely.

Reply to
Adrian

Controlled by Citroen electronics :-)

Reply to
Clive George

"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Worked fine for the seven years I had the car...

Reply to
Adrian

My 1996 Nissan doesn't have a clock either! But it does have two cigarette lighter sockets.

Reply to
Mark W

Keep meaning to fit a dog guard in the Disco. Been close to rolling (off-road) a couple of times and had stuff come into the rear passenger seats 'cos I hadn't strapped them dwn enough.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I'm lucky with heated mirrors. The Rangie and 325 both have 'em.

I'm planning on retro-fitting that to the 325 soon, it'll be handy on Czech runs.

Reply to
Pete M

Must do that to the 156.

It's a 50 quid part and 10 mins with a screwdriver.

Reply to
SteveH

"AstraVanMann" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

But... they're just normal splitfold rear seats. As featured on damn near every hatch and estate across the last 20 years or more...?

Reply to
Adrian

Not every car with a split-fold seat back has split-flip bases, so you can't always get a totally flat load bay.

Reply to
SteveH

My E30 has, but it's a 50-50 split, not a 60-40 one. Rangie is 60-40.

Having said that, the number of times in the last 20 years I've thought "I'm so glad my back seats are 60-40 split" is about, um, one.

Reply to
Pete M

IIRC the original metro had them...

Reply to
Clive George

Erm, I was on about the base splitting as well. Can't speak for a whole range of cars, but none of my Carlton Estates did that - the back bits did, but not the base. Would have been bloody handy on a number of occasions at gigs to have 2/3rds folded completely flat, and still have a usable back seat.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

The other day it would have been very handy on the Xantia for the purposes of giving someone a lift to rehearsal. That is, had the car not been so packed full of gear that there's no way in the world it would have just fitted in 2/3rds of the width plus the full bootspace.....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

What? A big estate car like that didn't get the seats folding flat? Or was it just that the base of the seat didn't split?

My favourite folding seats were in the CX (estate). They went down properly flat, with no vertical bits behind the front seat - ie you can get properly long stuff in. The BX spends a lot of its time missing the bigger seat base for just that reason.

Reply to
Clive George