Volvo C30

In a shock change to what was the previous norm, Tim Kemp has taken over the reigns of suggesting stuff like that, iw would seem....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

There was a Renault/PSA collaboration V6 petrol engine. Douvrin or something it was called. Dan's engine might be related.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

got in there first...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

DCi. Who gives a toss, it's french, runs on the wrong fuel and has insufficient cylinders, all at the same time.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Dan's engine is a tweaked Laguna job, also used in the Pug 406 and IIRC the Xantia 3.0.

Reply to
Pete M

sad, do people really take photos of a clio? .i know it's a v6 but still...

Reply to
mike

But I never mentioned mpg or reliability - I just don't want to go deaf as well as everything else :-) That and sometimes when I'm all drugged up I'm needing a wheelchair - that would just NOT go in the Vee in any way heh.

Reply to
DanB

Well you and the 'VanMan have been known to stand to attention whenever the sweet mixture is mentioned.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The engine you refer to is the PVR-engine : a carburetted V6 of 2.7 l=20 made by a consortium of Renault, PSA (Peugeot and Citroen) and Volvo. It=20 found home in the Renault 30, Peugeot 604 and some bigger Volvo's. PRV=20 wanted to teach the (big) Germans a lesson how to make engines.

It lived from =B11980 to around 1994, a heavy lump, very thristy,=20 unreliable and delivered only 144 HP. The bad performance and the=20 failure of that French big engined cars, contributed be the fact that=20 the PRV-engine became the cheapest V6 money could buy. That was the sole=20 reason why it also ended up in the Delorean.

Dan's engine is -happily- not related to the PVR-engine, his comes from=20 the later Laguna V6 and is all alloy. That engine is developed when all=20 went well with Renault (Formule 1, BTCC etc) and also when the sadly=20 missed Tom Walkingshaw still was a major force.=20

TWR was the man -or company- a carmaker could turn to and order a bomb=20 on wheels made on its humblest model. The origine of Dan's car is TWR=20 not the Dieppe Alpine plant.=20

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Lived from much earlier than that. My Dad had a 1975 Renault 30 with the

2.7 Douvrin in.
Reply to
Pete M

The engine you refer to is the PVR-engine : a carburetted V6 of 2.7 l made by a consortium of Renault, PSA (Peugeot and Citroen) and Volvo. It found home in the Renault 30, Peugeot 604 and some bigger Volvo's. PRV wanted to teach the (big) Germans a lesson how to make engines.

It lived from ±1980 to around 1994, a heavy lump, very thristy, unreliable and delivered only 144 HP. The bad performance and the failure of that French big engined cars, contributed be the fact that the PRV-engine became the cheapest V6 money could buy. That was the sole reason why it also ended up in the Delorean.

Dan's engine is -happily- not related to the PVR-engine, his comes from the later Laguna V6 and is all alloy. That engine is developed when all went well with Renault (Formule 1, BTCC etc) and also when the sadly missed Tom Walkingshaw still was a major force.

TWR was the man -or company- a carmaker could turn to and order a bomb on wheels made on its humblest model. The origine of Dan's car is TWR not the Dieppe Alpine plant.

He speaketh the true, I have the V6 Owners book thing, and it mentioned all alloy engines and also, the Mk1 was indeed designed by TWR (after RenaultSport said it couldn't be done) and built by TWR Sweden in the same space where Volvo cabrios are now built. The Mk2 was built in Dieppe.

Reply to
DanB

You are correct: in march 1975 the Renault 30TS was launched with that=20 engine but then it develloped 131 HP and was carburetted. It was the=20 first French engine after WWII with more than 4 cilinders

In 1978 came the Bosch EFI PRV and power went to 144 HP, the name=20 changed to Renault 30TX.

My dad bought one of those and was booked speeding the second day he had=20 it. The R30TX never was a good car: not reliable (an exhaust -dropped=20 off the car after 20,000 km- for it was around 400 UKP, we are speaking=20

1980), it needed 20 liters of fuel and saw the dealer every 2000 km.

Every gadget from the automatic windows, the sunroof or the pneumatic=20 central locking failed at the worst possible moment. It was one of those=20 cars where mecanics hid from when it came to the dealer.

Then the R25 came out and Renault -probably ashamed- gave us one for a=20 month. It was all the R30 was not but the trading in-price for the 3- year old R30TX was a such insult to my dad (who had owned around 25=20 Renaults, all bought new and most of the special models like the R12=20 Gordini) that he left the dealership sewaring never to buy a Renault=20 again. The next month I guess the whole of Renault Belgium came pleading=20 at our house.

So the R30 became our last Renault, untill I bought some R19's (6 in two=20 years). Like my dad I won't touch a "normal" Renault with a stick now=20 :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

144 BHP but it managed time travel - wow!
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It almost managed more: getting Colin Chapman in jail.

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

It only had to hit 88mph. Even a Skoda 120L could just about do that.

Reply to
Elder

picture advocating energy saving)

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Damn the environ-mentalists, I'll drive wherever and whenever I want ;)

Reply to
Elder