3.8L V6 Block+Heads Swap Questions

Hello all,

It's been a while since I have posted. I have a 3.8L coming out of an 83 Cougar that is carburated. I have an 85 Marquis (little one, not grand) with a

3.8 TBI. I would like to put the 83's block and heads into the 85 (the 85 burns oil like a refinery, but the body is in great shape). I have a few questions for the gurus:

  1. Will the intake's swap? (The gasket part numbers are the same)

  1. Will I run into cam problems? (The cam part numbers are close, but not the same)
  2. Anything else I should replace during the swap? Rod bearings, oil pump, etc?

I would love to just stuff a 351 or 302 in it, but I am broke!

Thanks,

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

CoogarXR opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

Since I gets my pathetic jollies from doing web searching.. from the Jasper "order info" site:

1983 coog Block casting: E2AE-HD Block casting location: DRIVERS SIDE-AT REAR OF THE BLOCK Crank casting: E2AE-DB Crank casting location: BETWEEN #4 MAIN & #6 ROD JOURNALS Head casting: E2AE-FC E3SE-A9D Head casting location: UN.VAL-COV.BETWEEN 1 & 2 VAL.SPRINGS

!985 Marq Block casting: E5AE-EA E4AE-EA E3AE-BA1 Block casting location: DRIVERS SIDE-AT REAR OF THE BLOCK Crank casting: E3AE-AA Crank casting location: BETWEEN #4 MAIN & #6 ROD JOURNALS Head casting: E2AE-FC E3SE-A9D Head casting location: UN.VAL-COV.BETWEEN 1 & 2 VAL.SPRINGS

Despite the block differences, the heads look the same and I would bet they'll work with the later intake unless there's a difference in the deck height. To find out... look up replacement rod and piston specs for each

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic