Larger Exhaust Tips.....effects on sound ??

My 5.0 LX's exhaust tips are whipped and need replaced.

I'm pondering moving up to 2.5" or maybe 3" O.D. pipes (for looks).

Although, I'm really like the sound of my car's exhaust as is, I'm wondering what the effect will be if I do decide to go to one of the larger O.D. pipes ??

Anyone have experiences with doing this ??

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

The larger the tip the louder, unless you upgrade mufflers. Kinda like the rice boy tips. It acts like a megaphone. It's the same with brass instruments also. I've played Trumpet for 25 years and I know that the larger the bell is on my Trumpet, the louder I play automatically, without any extra effort at all. It's a megaphone! I played an instrument similar to the trumpet that had a 13" bell on it, Trumpets are normally closer to 4-5". I could play louder by myself than 5 other guys on trumpets. Most good marching bands use 4-6 of these instruments, called Mellophones, while using

Reply to
Scott Williams

OK, now tell me why Chuck Mangione's flugal horn sounds so mellow.

Reply to
pawn
2.5 max on the tailpipes, anything bigger is 'rice'
Reply to
winze

Yea, I agree.

Tell ya what's friggin' weird though, is that 2.5"O.D. x 22" Tips are kinda HARD to find! All you see on Ebay is 3" and up!

Although, I did find a set of 2.5" tips for $60 + Shipping.

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

Roger that Scott.

I played Trombone for many years and can relate to that logic.

Actually, I DO want my exhaust to be a bit louder, but I DON'T really want to change the pitch or tone quality.

Do you think the pitch or tone of my exhaust will change after going from

2.25" O.D pipe to 2.5" (or 3") O.D. pipe ??

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu

"pawn" wrote

It's a conical bore instrument as opposed to a cylindrical bore. The Flugel gradually and continually gets bigger from lead pipe to bell. In a Trumpet the bore stays the same diameter until the bell curve starts in the last section of the horn. And the bell on a Flugel is bigger than a Trumpet. The flugel is similar to a Cornet in that they are both conical bore instruments. Kinda like stepped headers going into a 2.25" exhaust pipe which slowly gets larger as it heads toward the back of the car. I wonder if it would sound "mellower" if it were possible to make exhaust tubing like that?

Reply to
Scott Williams

"Katmandu" wrote

Excellent!!

If the logic holds between brass instruments and exhaust tone, then I would think that larger diameter would cause a deeper tone (maybe not by much) and a flared exhaust tip would make it louder. If you want louder then I would just go with a "trumpet flare" tip similar to the trumpets used on 65-66 GT's, only bigger. Also I believe that side exit exhaust would have a higher pitch compared to true duals of the same diameter, since their isn't as much tubing. e.g. a Trumpet compared to a French Horn. The bore on the F Horn is smaller but it's 3 times as long and can play a lot lower. A lot could be said for the harmonics of an exhaust system, not even going into backpressure, scavenging, blah blah. Just the tone itself could take a whole book.

My problem with the GT tips is they are only 2" pipes. I have a GT valance and want to use the correct tip. I think I might have the trumpet cut off and ground to where a 2.5" can be welded to it instead.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Screw that! I want a harmon mute exhaust!

Reply to
pawn

"pawn" wrote

Yeah, THAT would sound nice, NOT! LMAO! Closer to the riceboy sound than I can think anything else that would make a V8 sound like that.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Reply to
Gill