95 Mercury Villager Check Engine Light

Last two weeks, my 95 Mercury Villager (79,000 miles) is displaying Check Engine Light on. This typically happens when I am driving up a mild uphill slope at highway speed (above 55 mph). Mostly the light disappears at the end of the slope, or if I slow down. The check engine light never shows up in city driving, or on level highways. I got a mechanic look under the hood. The EGR/BPT hose is fine. Fuel pressure pump, gas cap, crankshaft, timing belts are okay (these are the usual suspects). Before heading to the dealer, is there anything else that I could look into ? Does the fact that this light shows up only on uphill at highway speed give any clues ?

Reply to
Rakhi Mandal

Autozone will read the code for free for you. It resets after about

30 starts (or something like that) so don't wait too long.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I am having similar problem with my 95 Quest at 69300 miles. The engine light came on during a 380 miles return trip from CA to Arizona. The light came on at about last 30 miles of trip. It stayed on for while, went out, then came back.

The next time I started the car the next day, it did not light up, but came back, disappeared, then came back again. I have refilled the gas tank once, problem still comes and goes. Definitely, it's not the Gas cap.

3000 miles before that, I use a Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner. The car ran much better ever since.

Other than that, the car ran fine with no any sign of problem.

I will pick up a copy of the Service Manual soon.

Let us all know how your problem fixed.

Reply to
DTT

No way to test the sensor? I believe your dealer is ignorant or just plain lying. A service manual will show you how to check the voltages various sensors send -- including O2 sensors -- and what the voltage range (specs) are supposed to be to be sure it's working.

Here's one place for more information for your O2 edification and reading pleasure:

Click on the "O2 Sensor Analyser" link in the left margin.

I'm sure that some shops have this equipment and CAN check the sensors...maybe most don't want to bother, or, want you to buy another one...it's easier and they make more $$?

Also remember that often, DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) usually point to the SYSTEM or CIRCUIT that is reporting a problem, not a particular component...unless for sure you know your car has "enhanced" DTCs that WILL identify a faulty O2 sensor.

You may have trouble with O2 sensor grounding, its wires or contamination of the sensor element itself.

I suggest that you get a second opinion from another dealer or trusted independent shop.

John D.

Reply to
John D.