98 Maxima rus great under load but idles rough

This thing runs good down the road but at idle and slow accelaration it cuts out real bad.It all started after I changed spark plugs I dont think this would have anthing to do with the problem though.And also when it is cold it dies on start up until it gets heat in the engine.Thanks for the help Chris

Reply to
chris1381

Clean your throttle body(TB).That, and the fuel filter maintenance and probably the most neglected cleaning routines.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Cleaning the throttle body may help, but the most likely culprit are the coils. I have seen this on a number of occasions. Change the plugs and the very touchy coils (new updated parts are now available) start to malfunction/cause misfires. I had the same problem and tried to replace the coils on an exception basis. Replaced two, the car was smooth for two days and then resumed the rough idle. Finally had to replace all 6 at about $55 a pop.

Order then on-line. They are substantially more expensive at your local dealer.

Good luck.

Reply to
WingNut

Reply to
Veeffer

Even if the likely culprit is the coils, it would make most economic sense to try the maintenance first since it costs $8 (the cost of a can of Throttle Body cleaner SAFE FOR FEUL INJECTED ENGINES) if you do it yourself. If that doesn't work, then shell out $330 for the coils.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Forgive the ignorance, but, *six coils* ?!?!? ...ignition coils? SIX?!?

tia

noneyabusiness

Reply to
JimV