407 upgrade to RT3 Unit

Hi

New one to this forum but I just recently bought my 407 SE and I am looking for so info regards the RT3 Sat'Nav/GSM Phone Headunit available.

I bought my 407 used (10months with 4k on the clock) and as a result I wasn't able to pick my own spec' but was extremely happy with what I was getting hence I bought. However, now that I have it I find that I am more and more needing Sat' Nav' for work and also find the GSM Phone feature of the RT3 to be a fantastic idea/set-up.

At the moment I have the RD4 unit but is it possable to simply buy the RT3 and take out the RD4 and replace it with an RT3. I know it works with the colourless Mono screen of the RD4 that I have at present so I wouldn't need to fork out extra for the colour screen, though may do so in the future. Can I though simply 'plug and play' the RT3 with the current set-up. I.e. Is all the wiring there for it and it simply needs to be plugged in/installed?

I don't wan to go pay a Peugeot dealer £100's of pounds extra to install it when I can do it myself with the help of a friend whom is a mechanic?

Help greatly appriciated.

Neil :-)

Reply to
NE1L via CarKB.com

At the minimum you would need the gps antenna, a new loom plus the unit. OTOW it would all need to be configured by Pug for a fee, and they may not even be willing to do it unless you hand the whole job over to them.

Have you thought about the Tom Tom Go 500/700 series? This is a superior nav system to the oem unit plus it can accommodate a bluetooth phone as well. You could go one step further with it and have a car docking kit fitted which amongst other things can route the sound from the nav/phone through the vehicles speakers. You can also transfer the unit to another vehicle in minutes.

I just feel this would be a more practical/cost effective solution and you can take it with you when you eventually change the vehicle.

HTH.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick (UK)

The standalone TomTom units are *vastly* superior to the OEM systems. Forget about the Peugeot kit, and get yourself a

or similar.

Reply to
Nom

Thanks but I don't want anything 'mounted' in the car. i'd rather stay with the manufacturers stuff.

I'll look further into it myself.

Reply to
NE1L via CarKB.com

But it's crap and expensive.

It's crazy to discount the cheaper, easier, portable, more functional aftermarket units :)

Go ahead - you'll find nothing but praise for the TomToms :)

Reply to
Nom

Couldn't agree more.

TomToms's are customisable, amongst other things, you can load point of interest databases and upgrade maps at a fraction of the cost of the

*inferior* oem units.

But hey, you pays your money, you makes your choice!

Reply to
Nick (UK)

How about a GPS + mobile phone/PDA solution? There's a number of solutions out there where your phone + a bluetooth phone/PDA can be used for sat nav - even Tom Tom produce a mobile version.

This means that you're only mounting your phone in the car (as many people do anyway) - and not having it on display at all times when parked etc. Obviously those phones with larger displays (ie. PDA phones) are better - but depends what you're after.

David Hearn

I had looked at a Tom Tom set-up but thought the 'built in' unit would be neater and not as unsightly

I simply hate to see unsightly features mounted to dashboards :-( even small things like a mobile or iPod :-(

Anyway if you recommend the a Tom Tom 500/700 series then can you answer a few questions?

Can the unit be wired up through your car speakers (mainly for the use of a mobile via the bluetooth feature) and does it come with all the needs for such a set-up?? (i.e. microphone etc for use with mobile via bluetooth etc etc?)

Thanks for the help and advice so far

Neil.

Reply to
NE1L via CarKB.com
********Edit to last post***********

Can it also be hard wired into the car?? Not fixed but is there a docking station etc for sale that means I can hardwire the power supply and simply remove only the unit from the car when needed just leaving the docking station/power suplly cable so I don't need to have a cable running across the dashboard to the unit when I use it in the car and can hide it instead behind the dash??

Thanks :-)

Reply to
NE1L via CarKB.com

Neil

You will never beat the tidyness of an oem package, but what you have to weigh up is aesthetics versus performance. As I mentioned in my earlier post there is a docking kit available for the TomTom Go series as you have obviously researched. This will relay *all* sound through the vehicles speakers and *yes* it is hardwired, so no you would not have wires trailing around your dash.

I have been using a Go Classic (original) for the past 18 months and believe me it has changed my life, and possibly saved some points on my licence.

Cheers.

Reply to
Nick (UK)

Thanks for the help.

I'll look for the best deal on a Tom Tom 700 now :-)

Reply to
NE1L via CarKB.com

Hurrah :)

Reply to