Big problems with 206 automatic transmission

I was cheated!! I bought for my daughter from a private person 1999 model 206 (66 000 km) with automatic transmission. I tested it with warm engine and transmission was working very well. But next morning with cold engine after 2 kilometers drive, there was a light thump and warning lights started to blink. I stopped the engine and started again. The problem was gone and did not appear, when driving with warm engine. The same happens every time with cold engine and after restart its ok. In Peugeot service, they said, that there are metal particles in transmission oil and only way to repair it is to change the whole transmission box - cost 5500 euros! I have no protection of consumer laws, because I bought from private person. I cant get any money back from the seller, because he is not solvent! The Peugeot importer refuses to take responsibility even if it is very obvious, that the fault has been in the box already from the factory. The former owner had used the car in guarantee repair for the same reason, and it was said then, that there was some gap in fuse nest! But the problem was appearing after this repair every now and then and the former owner did not do anything to that! Personally I think, that there might be some problems in electric control functions. Is there somebody, who has experience of the same problem? Is Peugeot 206 automatic transmission total catastrophe??

Reply to
Reijo V

maybe a oil change or two will flush the particles outs and hopefully no major damage has been done

Reply to
SimonDS

I had exactly the same problem, and posted an enquiry on this forum back in (mid) july. I got 2 replies, and the second one was spot on. I havn't posted the good news yet, as I didn't want to tempt fate. I had the two pressure solenoids replaced at my local(ish) automatic gearbox repair centre for a total cost of £280 pounds. No problems whatsoever, it now works fine. I did try to thank the person who helped me out, but my e-mail was returned. I wish I was clever enough to be able to use a false/modified e-mail address, then I wouldn't have to read from all my new pals offering me money making opportunities!!

Reply to
David

Thank you so much - this is very valuable information! I have been in contact with

in Australia, guy called Rene e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au. I found him when serching in Google with "problems in Peugeot 206 automatic transmission". He told me, that the problem is in those two solenoid valves, which he recommended to replace as the first thing! It is very nice to hear, that you confirm this! Perhaps this Rene was your lost friend. I send this information to the Peugeot importing companý in Finland. I have still the discussion on with them. On monday they got the letter from me with the copies from Rene included very accurate information from him, how to solve the problem. I am still waiting them to come back.

Reply to
Reijo V